Stihl 026 or MS 360

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mobiletec

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone. i have two saws to choose from. A 026 with decompression valve or an MS 360. I know the obvious. MS 360 is bigger but as far as reliablity and use which should i choose are these both commercial saws? Thanks for any advice.

Hi everyone. i have two saws to choose from. A 026 with decompression valve or an MS 360. I know the obvious. MS 360 is bigger but as far as reliablity and use which should i choose are these both commercial saws? Thanks for any advice.

If you are looking for a saw that will be your only one, by all means go with the 360. It has more displacement and will run a 20" bar with authority. The 026 can't.

If you need a smaller saw that is nimble and fast for brush or limbing, go with the 026.

Your intended purpose will dictate which to go with.

Need more info to make a better recommendation.

Bob

Add: Yes, they are both pro saws with magnesium crankcases.

If you are looking for a saw that will be your only one, by all means go with the 360. It has more displacement and will run a 20" bar with authority. The 026 can't.

If you need a smaller saw that is nimble and fast for brush or limbing, go with the 026.

Your intended purpose will dictate which to go with.

Need more info to make a better recommendation.

Bob

Add: Yes, they are both pro saws with magnesium crankcases.

Well here the thing. my dad has both at the cottage. use it for cutting firewood. I could just keep both but probably would `nt use both at a time. What could i realistally sell the 026 for if i were to part with it. Its in relitivly good shap 16 inch bar.:msp_smile:

Well here the thing. my dad has both at the cottage. use it for cutting firewood. I could just keep both but probably wouldn't use both at a time. What could i realistically sell the 026 for if i were to part with it. Its in relatively good shape 16 inch bar.:msp_smile:

In "relatively good shape"....about $200...imho..
:cheers:
J2F

You may get $200 for the 026 today. But what happens when you decide you want a smaller limbing type saw? Unless you've got your sights set on a little MS200 and want to put the money towards that I think you're going to regret losing the 026. Especially since its lighter and smaller than the current version.

What he said.

I had a MS260pro and sold it for a MS360 pro several years ago. IMO, the 036/360 is the better all around saw if you can only choose one.

Well here the thing. my dad has both at the cottage. use it for cutting firewood. I could just keep both but probably wouldn't use both at a time. What could i realistically sell the 026 for if i were to part with it. Its in relatively good shape 16 inch bar.:msp_smile:

If both saws run well...You gotta be nuts to sell either one...!!
Resale not all that great on either one because of age...but are super reliable...see my sig..!!

You would have to pry my 026 and 036 - (200T also) - from my cold dead fingers!!!
:cheers:
J2F

Well here the thing. my dad has both at the cottage. use it for cutting firewood. I could just keep both but probably would `nt use both at a time. What could i realistally sell the 026 for if i were to part with it. Its in relitivly good shap 16 inch bar.:msp_smile:

Lets start from the beginning. You are on the arborist web site on a Saturday night. Which means We all have CAD. We repair, accumulate, Modify saws. Also look through the pawn shops and craigslist ads for saws. We Rarely sell saws. Especially tried and true models like the 026. The only real choice is to keep both.

I agree with the above posts that keeping both would be a good option. They are both great saws and unless you really need to have some cash out of them I would hang on to both and use them. I use an 026 for about 75% of everything I cut. It does well with an 18" bar but you said yours had a 16 and that is a good choice as well. Parts are available for both saws and they made a ton of them so you should be able to keep them in good order until...

Lets start from the beginning. You are on the arborist web site on a Saturday night. Which means We all have CAD. We repair, accumulate, Modify saws. Also look through the pawn shops and craigslist ads for saws. We Rarely sell saws. Especially tried and true models like the 026. The only real choice is to keep both.

Ya think im going to keep both. Fired up the 026 after 3 years sitting ( I had foged it an flushed the carb and tank. Fired up right away and idled smoother than my friend new 260. I can`t Do it I Just can`t SELL LOL LOL .Thanks guys

Oh, Ok. You already have both of them. Do you really need to sell one? You may get a couple hundred for one or the other.

If so, go for it, but in my mind, I would just hold on to both of them. They are both great saws, and compliment each other.

However, if I was in the position where I needed a couple hundred bucks or so,,,,,,,,,I certainly would choose the 026 to sell.

Bob

I have a 260, 441 and 066, but I would buy a 036-360 if the price was right, just waiting on blsnelling to do a thread on the ms362 before I decide to pull the trigger.:laugh:

Latest posts

Back