Stihl 026 Stock / Ported Comparison Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FNG here. Great thread. Very informative. I am currently workign on an 026. It appears that one of the cylinder bolts came out and then broke at the base of the cylinder around a second loose bolt. I am getting a cylinder and piston kit and am thinking about doing some mild porting.

I noticed in this thread it was mentioned that the carb on the 026 is a little small. What I did not see was a confirmation that a ported cylinder could be ran with the stock carb. Will this cause a problem? This saw is a worker that gets used very often. Thanks for the help!

FNG here. Great thread. Very informative. I am currently workign on an 026. It appears that one of the cylinder bolts came out and then broke at the base of the cylinder around a second loose bolt. I am getting a cylinder and piston kit and am thinking about doing some mild porting.

I noticed in this thread it was mentioned that the carb on the 026 is a little small. What I did not see was a confirmation that a ported cylinder could be ran with the stock carb. Will this cause a problem? This saw is a worker that gets used very often. Thanks for the help!

A stock carb will be fine............it does need both the H & L needles though......many of these saws just have the L screw.

Yes, you can run a ported 026 with a stock carb.
It won't have quite as much power as it could have, but after running a stocker, it will be so much better that you won't care......................for now!

Mike

Yes, you can run a ported 026 with a stock carb.
It won't have quite as much power as it could have, but after running a stocker, it will be so much better that you won't care......................for now!

Mike

What option is there besides the stock carb? The 044 was mentioned in this but says that it will require butchering of the case. How bad?

Higher compression only, 026/ms260 = gas mizer saw. For a high output work saw it's gotta be Husky 346xp ported and bigger carb.
JMO:laugh:

A stock carb will be fine............it does need both the H & L needles though......many of these saws just have the L screw.

Thanks for the info. The carb does have both the H and L screws.

Another question I have is if the guys who are removing the base gasket and raising the compression are still using the stick carb?

Also, do these saws not run hotter when they have been modified like this?

Thanks for the info. The carb does have both the H and L screws.

Another question I have is if the guys who are removing the base gasket and raising the compression are still using the stick carb?

Also, do these saws not run hotter when they have been modified like this?

The 026/260 normally is too tight without a base gasket.

As far as overheating goes........I've ran these saws with up to 250psi without an issue. I use a "special" blend of fuel mix though.

That's not to say that much compression is needed........I play around with these things testing different ideas.

As far as overheating goes........I've ran these saws with up to 250psi without an issue. I use a "special" blend of fuel mix though.

That's not to say that much compression is needed........I play around with these things testing different ideas.

You're an EPA outlaw!:msp_scared:

Too tight unless you machine the squish band right? I think thats what I have seen in here.

Is that "special blend" a secret? haha

Too tight unless you machine the squish band right? I think thats what I have seen in here.

Is that "special blend" a secret? haha

You can work over the piston instead of the squish..........

I've not got any secrets. People have been modding saws since the 50's. We ain't doing anything new.

I don't but as much info in my threads as I once did because it causes either disagreements at times, or some guys worry that if I share too much everyone will just port their own saws and us paid porters will be out of business.

I stay a month or more behind and don't see sharing this stuff as any danger to losing work, but at the same time I don't want to ruffle any feathers.....

That said..........if you want to know anything........just ask.

I use 87 non ethanol (because it's normally fresher, and not blended), then add 2oz Torco race fuel concentrate, and 4oz Belray H1R oil per gallon (that's 32:1).

great...........the one saw size that not ported i have and this pops up :dizzy:

I've not got any secrets. People have been modding saws since the 50's. We ain't doing anything new.

I don't but as much info in my threads as I once did because it causes either disagreements at times, or some guys worry that if I share too much everyone will just port their own saws and us paid porters will be out of business.

I stay a month or more behind and don't see sharing this stuff as any danger to losing work, but at the same time I don't want to ruffle any feathers.....

I use 87 non ethanol (because it's normally fresher, and not blended), then add 2oz Torco race fuel concentrate, and 4oz Belray H1R oil per gallon (that's 32:1).

There are plenty of resources to find out about building/rebuilding an engine or carburetor, and yet people still pay to have it done or throw away otherwise good equipment that needs a $10 carb kit and $2 worth of fuel lines.

About the only thing "freely available" has put a damper on is the adult video market.

Nice thread mastermind. I will be looking at it a lot when I do the 024S.

I know what you mean. People want to argue about everything! Thanks again for the info!

Latest posts

Back