Stihl 026 won't start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchel ingham

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,

Bought a 026 cheap as a project it will only start when fuel is sprayed into the carb or plug fuels coming through fuel line had carb to pieces nothing inside it looked wrong. The person I bought it off said he had tried changing impulse line to. Shall I just buy a new carb for it then see what that changes?

Thanks for help in advance

Will it stay running after you prime it and start it? If so you could have a choke issue. Also, you might want to check compression. I have an 026 that would only start with a prime. Turned out to only have 90 psi compression. Just some thoughts.

They only way to get it starts is to put fuel directly into plug or carb.

I haven't got a compression checker at the moment Will get one.

I've checked fuel line and that's not blocked I don't think it's had a new impulse line to.

I've dried blowing down the fuel input into the carb and put my finger on the metering lever to open it and I can blow air through so the carbs not blocked I think?

They only way to get it starts is to put fuel directly into plug or carb.

I haven't got a compression checker at the moment Will get one.

I've checked fuel line and that's not blocked I don't think it's had a new impulse line to.

I've dried blowing down the fuel input into the carb and put my finger on the metering lever to open it and I can blow air through so the carbs not blocked I think?
Take off the muffler and see in what condition is the piston no need compression tester
after you put fuel directly to the cylinder the saw run or run just for a little ?
take a help from a friend tell him to put his finger to the carb and pull the starter rope and see if the saw start with this way if not you have problem to the air filter

Once again, it sounds like the choke flap on the air filter is not closing. A little plastic toe on the far right side of the switch rod moves that flap and sometimes they get broken off. Check that first.

Checked this last night and the flaps working fine.

Take off the muffler and see in what condition is the piston no need compression tester
after you put fuel directly to the cylinder the saw run or run just for a little ?
take a help from a friend tell him to put his finger to the carb and pull the starter rope and see if the saw start with this way if not you have problem to the air filter

Ill have a look today,

Saw would run a little until fuel ran out,

The air filter flaps working fine checked that last night though

I took some advice from someone else to last night suggested taking the metering side of the carb flap off connecting fuel line to carb and holding down the metering lever then blowing through the fuel tank to see if fuel came through carb. Guess what it did so now I'm stumped? Maybe the carbs not jetting enough? Also notice that the fuel tank seems to pressurise a lot is this bad?

when cleaning the carb check and make sure the little holes in the bore of the carb are not plugged. I Use a wire off a wire brush and poke it through to clear. If crusted up I change the welch plug and clean those holes thoroughly . If you think it's a tank vent issue try starting the saw on the side with the fuel cap off.

Latest posts

Back