Stihl 026

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I packed my 066 along with a gallon of gas and a quart of bar oil 10 miles to cut one tree down.

Had an old shotgun growed up into it.

I wouldn't do it again, thats for sure.

This is what I would bring.

A shotgun??..That saws a beauty I dig it! I do alot of camping, and to trek into the woods with one of my saws listed below can get tedious to say the least..

You think about it though, a guy in the woods walks alot durring a day. I know I don't usually see the truck till lunch or dinner some days.

i've had an 026 and plan on buying another!!! they are very light but as to walking 6-7 miles with it plus camping gear????well now thats up to you!!!

Can I get off topic a little?

Jim, a couple of questions about your trek immediately come to mind:

<ol>
<li> What did you do with the tree after cutting it?</li>
<li> Did the shotgun come as a surprise?</li>
</ol>

<p>&nbsp;

I'd never considered packing a power tool to go camping, but for a chainsaw, the 200T sounds a little better suited to the purpose.

Is the "packing" being done by human or by horse power?

Re: Can I get off topic a little?

Originally posted by glens
Jim, a couple of questions about your trek immediately come to mind:

<ol>
<li> What did you do with the tree after cutting it?</li>
<li> Did the shotgun come as a surprise?</li>
</ol>

<p>&nbsp;

I'd never considered packing a power tool to go camping, but for a chainsaw, the 200T sounds a little better suited to the purpose.

Is the "packing" being done by human or by horse power?

Guy was out walking one afternoon and saw it. Not sure what he did with it. I cut the tree, cut out the part around the gun and he packed it out i guess.

026 is a great saw, we have 2 in our fleet.
I personally wouldn't want to haul it around plus a bunch of gear for 6or 7 miles a day.
What are you planning on cutting? I would go with a smaller one, like a 009L if you only plan to do some light stuff

If you're purpose is to carry the saw to cut wood for your fire while you're camping - No way would I carry my 026 that far for that purpose. I have a 019 and I wouldn't carry it that far to cut firewood.

Just cant imagine needing a chain saw for hike in camping, we usualy take just a hand saw, but I did see a neat product this year, it was just a chunk of small modified chain saw chain about 4 feet long with a split ring at ether end. worked well for 1 or 2 people cut fairly fast and packed away into a small tin.

Have taken small saws canoeing on spring creek trips, often we have had to cut away deadfalls and sweepers.

Timberwolf

Nice one treeman..disposable chainsaws! I cut fire wood for long early spring days and nights, so like a 5 day 24 hour fire..need tons of wood!..Usually I will back pack in, and attach the saw to the dog..:D

Back