Stihl 028 AV muffler refab ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerry1

Reaction score
While looking through some of the post here, I came across a few posts about muffler conversions to better the performance of saws. If I understood correctly.

Is there anything that can be done to the stock muffler on my Stihl 028 AV that would help it's performance and not harm or shorten the life of the saw,,,the proverbial tradeoff.

And while I'm at it,,,the muffler on my Echo CS 3000 too.

jerry

Hello Jerry1,
most of the current saws that stihl and husky are building have very restrictive mufflers. This is because it helps them get better EPA emmision numbers when they are tested when new. this also lowers the power and the motors run hotter. if you lower the exhaust temprature and lower the exhaust restriction you won't decrease engine life you will increase it. I cant remember exactly what the 028av muffler looked like inside and if it comes apart, i need to look at it but cutting a extra port in the front 3/4 inch by 7/16 will help the power and the tempature. if it has a shield inside drilling some holes will also help. I think the 028av muffler is open inside. it was before all the EPA emission and osha noise level bullsh--.

Ken dunn kdhotsaw

Since we are talking about 028 mufflers I have an 028 with the muffler screws snapped off in the powerhead. Anyone have experience drilling and retapping these? can the aluminum support it

Hello huskyman,
If they are not seized in the barrel soak them with rust penetrate overnight, tap on them with a small drift pin 2-3 times and then drill out the center of the broken studs then use your easy-out tool and try to remove them. if they are seized and wont come out . then you have to drill them completely and put a heli-coil insert in
Ken kdhotsaw

howdy kd - did my first cutting with the 372xp yesterday and man this thing is everything I needed. I should say afford cos i would like to release those hidden poines in there that you all talk about and considering drilling the muffler - will a 1/2" hole help my baby or should i not mess with it? epa sucks!! gimme my horses - im sure the guys elsewhere have all their horses:mad:

PB blaster is the best pent. start your saw and warm up, if you can. soak for 2-3 days putting on as many times as possible and tapping w/ hammer and punch. sometimes can backout w/punch. theres nothing on the market like PB Blaster. good luck, nfp

Back