Stihl 028 AV Super repair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The kill switch is on the right of carb. I put it there years ago before i ever thought of fixing it properly....

Is that the old chain and sprocket?
It looks like it is pretty tight at the moment. Like it is binding.
i put a new chain sprocket on it and its lubed good. it is an old chain because it was laying there and i wasnt planning on cutting. i did tighten the chain fairly snug.

I'm calling this thread complete. Thank you pionerguy600, HarleyT, Ax-man, Wood Doctor, Jasonrkba, BuckthornBonnie, redunshee, Mad Professor, Tml061583, drf255, PogoinTheWoods, and olyman. I couldn't have done it without all of your input ! My next project will be my old husky 44. It dies after it gets hot. I looked up all the threads on that issue and I'll try and see if any of their fixes work for me. If not I will start another thread.

I'm calling this thread complete. Thank you pionerguy600, HarleyT, Ax-man, Wood Doctor, Jasonrkba, BuckthornBonnie, redunshee, Mad Professor, Tml061583, drf255, PogoinTheWoods, and olyman. I couldn't have done it without all of your input ! My next project will be my old husky 44. It dies after it gets hot. I looked up all the threads on that issue and I'll try and see if any of their fixes work for me. If not I will start another thread.
Take the muffler off and peek at the piston, first thing.

Take the muffler off and peek at the piston, first thing.
i did. it was the first thing i did (it was after i joined AS and learned about it) before i even tried starting it. it is baby butt smooth. it was my father in laws and he hadn't used it at all for 15 years, and only a couple of times a year before that to prune his fruit trees.

Here she is running after everything is done. If i lower the idle or low speed carb screw, it dies. Any thoughts or comments?

I'd say mission accomplished. May still be able to dial in the idle and lo jet with some subtle tweaking for a quicker trigger response, but at least there's a steady idle now and it returns to idle much better from wide open throttle.

Ditto on Harley's chain comments. And it looks like the oiler is working just fine! Well done.

Good luck with the 44!

I'd say mission accomplished. May still be able to dial in the idle and lo jet with some subtle tweaking for a quicker trigger response, but at least there's a steady idle now and it returns to idle much better from wide open throttle.

Ditto on Harley's chain comments. And it looks like the oiler is working just fine! Well done.

Good luck with the 44!
Thank you! I think the carb boot may not have been on as good as it should have for my first test. I had a heck of a time getting it to seat well the second time. I ended up taking the clamp completely off, installing the boot to the cylinder intake and then getting the clamp back on. I felt like an obstetrician, lol. I will see about tweeking, i watched a good video on it last night.

I may have found the problem with the 44. It was jam packed with oily sawdust. The flywheel and coil were completely covered. I believe that it was caused by the wrong gauge chain and it just slung oil everywhere when he used it. The plug gap was too small also and the carb diaphram was packed with dust. It's amazing it ran at all! I'm cleaning the whole thing, regardless. I figure if the coil is bad it will be a lot easier to change it anyway.

Attachments

• 20190907_002218.jpg
    20190907_002218.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 7
Back