Stihl 028 chain brake or NO brake?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihlofadeal64

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I picked up an 028 some time ago and have been going over it. Upon testing I noticed that (what appeared to be) the chain brake was not working. Since I am not exactly sure I thought I'd throw these questions out to those much more savvy than me on this particular Stihl saw.

(1). Is this an older 028 that is only supposed to have an "hand guard" or is that a misnomer?

(2). It appears in the picture I have posted that it has the machine pins with the ring grooves to mount a chain brake. Is it possible that someone has taken it off and replaced it with this type of handguard -- or am I in left field.
{I looked at the parts list and realize that this saw was manufactured for more than 20 years and in several different models, however, there is no inclusive way to tell concerning this saw - at least in my mind}

(3). Anyone out there who can help me and give me the technical information? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I just checked several of the old 028 carcasses I have layin around and they look like yours. The ones I checked are quite old an 42mm. All the older ones I have also have a handguard. The capacity for chainbrake installation is there however. Hope this helps a little.

Brake was an option on the first series 028's
I have a nice old 42mm 028, I initially put it together to give my nephew.
I soon realized that it did not have a brake so I kept it. The newer 028 brakes will not fit it, seems like the case is not machined the same as the later 028's.
Jim

Firing up the grill for dinner, is this the dish you seek???

attachment.php

Firing up the grill for dinner, is this the dish you seek???

attachment.php

Are you saying that chainbrake will work on this saw. It appears to be set up like mine but I'm not certain. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Have no idea on the interchangeability, no one here would step in that.

Just thought I would throw that pic up.

no will not work on yours, you can not retro fit a chain break on to your saw

Well Jeep likes stepping in things, but it looks like he is right, the brake band mount is different....

But what if I sold him the whole crankcase??????

I may be able to do that.....

Well Jeep likes stepping in things, but it looks like he is right, the brake band mount is different....

But what if I sold him the whole crankcase??????

I may be able to do that.....

well i do step into it all the time...i did get married.......might as well just sell him the whole saw...save him the effort of switching parts

maybe...................

i think there is a chance you can fit an oem brake on that saw but it may not be easy to find.

as i recall, there was a different style brake lever on the earliest 028. this may be the 'optional' one that was offered early on (mentioned above).
this may have been on the side 'mount muffler' and 'three hole recoil' 028..... IDK for sure.

i had this brake lever in my collection. it is completely solid up front having no holes in the hand guard. my thinking is that if you had this type of brake on a donor saw there is a chance you could retrofit it.

but i'm just guessing

so,
was i right about the early three bolt recoil, side mount hole muffler, solid hand guard saw is the one you can steal parts from?

I have not formed a conclusion yet. This particular saw has 150psi compression, and is a runner. I'm still trouble shooting a few "kinks."
I'd love to retrofit it if necessary. Am I accurate to say (according to what I've read) that some of these saws had NO chain brake. And is this one that had no chain brake? {I'm sounding like a broke record here...lol}

I have not formed a conclusion yet. This particular saw has 150psi compression, and is a runner. I'm still trouble shooting a few "kinks."
I'd love to retrofit it if necessary. Am I accurate to say (according to what I've read) that some of these saws had NO chain brake. And is this one that had no chain brake? {I'm sounding like a broke record here...lol}

Yes, some earlier 028 saws were produced and sold without chain brakes. There is no reason to fret though, if you can find the correct parts you can retrofit a chainbrake assembly to the saw. You are correct, if there isn't a chainbrake or any of the parts for a chainbrake then your saw did not come with one. A tell-tale sign would be if your handguard has an integrated pivoting pin which attaches above the clutch.

I didn't get pics of my Super, it's at the farm yet. My WB came home though, which is the one that was retrofitted so here's a pic of the old handle.
attachment.php

Here's a pic of the internals of the brake.
attachment.php

Latest posts

Back