Stihl 028 chain brake or NO brake?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found this old thread informative but somewhat frustrating. I’m working on a friend’s 028 WB. It’s an old version. Tillie carb on it. Immediately noticed brake flag did nothing but move back and forth. It does have a return spring. Got into it and found no activation mechanism or band. Could this one be one of those early versions that never had a chain brake? There appear to be posts to mount an activation mechanism. Friend says he is not sure if it came with one and was removed. I’d like to retrofit one but I am concerned about getting the correct parts. Also, these can be tricky to install without a good diagram or an brake-equipped spare saw to use as guidance. Any Insight, advice, guidance would be much appreciated.
If it is a true Stihl 028 WB with a solid safety handle, it will have a rather strong return spring on board but no chain brake installed. I am working on one right now that needs help to start and run. So, I think the answer to your first question, is "yes, it never had one". If you try to retrofit a chain brake to this saw, you could be opening up a can of worms. Lots of operators don't even want the brake. Just MHO.

Found this old thread informative but somewhat frustrating. I’m working on a friend’s 028 WB. It’s an old version. Tillie carb on it. Immediately noticed brake flag did nothing but move back and forth. It does have a return spring. Got into it and found no activation mechanism or band. Could this one be one of those early versions that never had a chain brake? There appear to be posts to mount an activation mechanism. Friend says he is not sure if it came with one and was removed. I’d like to retrofit one but I am concerned about getting the correct parts. Also, these can be tricky to install without a good diagram or an brake-equipped spare saw to use as guidance. Any Insight, advice, guidance would be much appreciated.

I also have an 028 that didn’t have a brake and wanted to
add one. Was able to find a complete set up on EBay, a few years ago.
These are the parts diagram and list. Good luck with your project!F0C11D61-2BBD-46B8-92E8-F4E21060ADC1.jpegD917446B-2525-42A3-88F9-50EE1F7B2FE9.jpeg6135E176-07BE-4487-B58B-EF13CA697935.jpeg

Thanks for the replies. They are helpful. I talked more with my friend who turned the saw over to me. It’s actually his brother in law’s saw and apparently he’s not very mechanically inclined. When asked about a chain brake he drifted into the functioning of the clutch. So, I’m just going to focus on getting it to run and cut well. It’s got good compression, P and C look very good. It’s got an air leak though so seals are on tue way. Going to kit the carb too.

Back