Stihl 028 Super Stolen

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It really bugs me to report this to you, but I thought I should. An 028 Super that I bought on e-bay two years ago for about $180 and resold to a friend was stolen from him three days ago. I recall spending about a day's work getting it ready for him, and he paid me only what I paid. Regardless, I really liked this saw, and it ran flawlessly with its 18" bar and chain. He kept it inside a small out building and one night he forgot to lock the padlock on the door. Next day it was gone along with some of his other tools and equipment.

This saw has actually appreciated in value in the last year or so. Most are bid all the way up to nearly $300 before they sell. Some say it's because they like them better than today's 290 Farm Boss that will set you back $500, and an MS261 is at least $600 or more. At any event, guys, please realize that Stihl chainsaws are hot items that thieves love to steal and then resell for cash. Measured in $/lb, I am not sure if any outdoor equipment is more valuable. My friend and are are both sick about this. S__t happens.

I write down the numbers off every saw that I get, who I received it from and where it goes to. If you have the info get it to the police, sorry to hear about the lose. :mad:

I try to keep not too many high dollar saws around and I generally don't let people case my joint to see what I do have. Generally when I sell something on CL I just meet them somewhere because my place is kinda hard to find anyway..Sorry about your loss, pays to double check your locks..

I never store any of my saws in an outbuilding, and I did warn my friend of the saw's value. The thief must have been casing the joint and like a snake, he knew exactly when to strike. He also stole my friend's toolbox packed with tools and a trolling motor for his small fishing boat. But, the big loss was the 028 Super that he was using weekly. I had just given it an annual service checkup this past spring.

If the guy had been casing your place he must have been a local. Keep your eyes open, it may show up for sale, maybe on CL, some of the tools may be gone forever if he scatters them out, same with the trolling motor unless he has his name on it somewhere.

If the guy had been casing your place he must have been a local. Keep your eyes open, it may show up for sale, maybe on CL, some of the tools may be gone forever if he scatters them out, same with the trolling motor unless he has his name on it somewhere.
That's a good idea. I have the saw's serial number in my files. What we usually run into around here is that the thief has already lined up a buyer for whatever he steals. What he is usually looking for is money from the stolen goods that he can use to buy drugs.

BTW, this make two of my saws that I obtained or fixed up for friends that have met a similar fate. Last year a crook stole a very good Stihl 046 Magnum and several other tools from another friend of mine who lived about ten miles down the road. That saw was stored in a garage, and the thief cut the padlock with a huge bolt cutter. Police arrested two suspects but never found the stolen merchandise.

check the pawn shops... if it shows up at one they'll have theifs name and license number, unless he duped someone into selling/pawning it for him.

I'm not allowed to keep saw in the basement, apparently fuel inside a tank in a cool dark environment is a major concern around here... :angry:

check the pawn shops... if it shows up at one they'll have theifs name and license number, unless he duped someone into selling/pawning it for him.

I'm not allowed to keep saw in the basement, apparently fuel inside a tank in a cool dark environment is a major concern around here... :angry:

Take the fuel out of the tank and you are golden. My saws live in the basement when hey are not being used. Not even a DEA drug dog could tell!

Mine are in the dehumidified unfinished/partly framed basement too hanging from the rafters in a secluded area by those bike hanger hooks . I clean the saws off before I bring them in .

Sorry about your saw being stolen.
Several years ago I had stuff stolen but fortunately I found the items at a pawn shop and the police were called.
Both guys were arrested and I got my stuff back.
They both were also forced to pay restitutions on top of that.
Odd but I actually profited from the whole ordeal!
Now I keep my seperated garage locked with a alarm, I live far outside the city and have a difficult garage to get to undetected especially with my pitbull and doberman always watching lol

Sorry about your saw being stolen.
Several years ago I had stuff stolen but fortunately I found the items at a pawn shop and the police were called.
Both guys were arrested and I got my stuff back.
They both were also forced to pay restitutions on top of that.
Odd but I actually profited from the whole ordeal!
Now I keep my seperated garage locked with a alarm, I live far outside the city and have a difficult garage to get to undetected especially with my pitbull and doberman always watching lol

I have always found that if someone wants what you have badly enough they will get it. It sucks that the saw was stolen but it is just a saw. Easily replaced. I have read reports of people being killed over much less.

Back