Stihl 028...thinking about running 3/8"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitedogone

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Need to replace the rim. I was thinking of changing to a 3/8" setup. It has .325 now. Should I change to 3/8 or stay with .325? Also it looks to be a odd looking rim. Was there a couple of different drum types on the 028?

WDO

Need to replace the rim. I was thinking of changing to a 3/8" setup. It has .325 now. Should I change to 3/8 or stay with .325? Also it looks to be a odd looking rim. Was there a couple of different drum types on the 028?

WDO

I wouldn't hesitate to switch to 3/8. I switched an 029 to a 3/8 18" from a .325 16" and it cuts great. I did do a slight muffler mod before switching (Of course the 029 has a reputation of being choked off). Plus if you have/can get both rims for the saw you could switch it back easily if you were not happy with the results.

why change? do you also need a new bar and have no spare chains?
.325 on a 028 is a good setup

I switched so I could take the 029 and the 066 to the woods and use the same file. I can keep one in my pocket and touch up the chain if needed no matter what saw I had in my hands. With the ..325 I would have to walk back to the truck and dig through the box to find the right file. Now I just pull the file out, touch up the chain and back to cutting. It is a real time saver.

I think 50cc stihl saws pull better with 0.325".

I run 028S and 026 with 16" bars and 26 rs/rsc and they have all they can handle in hardwood with bar buried (ash, maple, oak, beech, birch, locust, hickory) . Might get buy with a 18-20" in softwoods and/or less agressive rakers ( pine).

P.S. do not even consider a 8 pin 3/8 drive

P.P.S. yes you can run 3/8', but you will make more kerf and less wood/product, and it will take more fuel to make more sawdust.

WDO

I've run a couple 028's and owned a 028 super. Only have run .325 on them and never considered 3/8. They aren't a fast saw, but reliable and tough. The odd rim should be part number 0000 642 1236 for .325x7 or 0000 642 1231 for 375x7. Seen these rims called mini in size before. Most rims are small or standard on bore size, but Stihl has several running the mini spline.

I've seen some 024's and 026's with the mini spline. On these can switch out to different drum by oregon and get to the normal small spline.

I run 028S and 026 with 16" bars and 26 rs/rsc and they have all they can handle in hardwood with bar buried (ash, maple, oak, beech, birch, locust, hickory) . Might get buy with a 18-20" in softwoods and/or less agressive rakers ( pine).

P.P.S. yes you can run 3/8', but you will make more kerf and less wood/product, and it will take more fuel to make more sawdust.
Pretty much the way I understand it and the way I run. :cheers:

I switched over to 3/8 for simplicity, and interchange-ability. Now all the saws run the same b/c. I have all 3/8 .050 and the 028WB wears a 16" and the 028Super an 18". If I were all about speed of cut i would keep the .325 on the 028's. I like how I only have one chain size on all the saws save the 009's that use "picco" just easier for me so I can switch b/c in the woods without having to bring the entire garage with me when a chain gets dull.

+ 1,2 and 3 No way a 028 will handle a 3/8 unless your cutting small softwood. Steve

I switched over to 3/8 for simplicity, and interchange-ability. Now all the saws run the same b/c. I have all 3/8 .050 and the 028WB wears a 16" and the 028Super an 18". If I were all about speed of cut i would keep the .325 on the 028's. I like how I only have one chain size on all the saws save the 009's that use "picco" just easier for me so I can switch b/c in the woods without having to bring the entire garage with me when a chain gets dull.

You can run a 3/8 "picco" up to 066/066 saws.

Just need to know how :msp_smile:

My 028 super came with a 20" 3/8 bar and chain setup new in 1986 and it works just fine. I've buried it in curly maple and it went slow but got it done. It's a slow saw but it is utterly reliable and will get the work done.

Back