Stihl 028 Woodboss?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nova, the new saws made by both Husky and Stihl are fast, light and powerfull but they will not stand up to the same use/abuse of the older saws they made, and are more complicated, fact. New piston, $225 with a 30 day return, what do you more do you expect from an old saw? A 266xp with the steel brake, still in the original box?....my dream.

clearance said:
$225 with a 30 day return, what do you more do you expect from an old saw?
That's just the thing: I'm not comfortable with a 15 year old saw that may have been beaten within an inch of its life and might give up the ghost in a year.
I hate it that the EPA has to ruin everything I like, and I dislike it that new saws are more complicated, which makes me want an older saw... but maybe not 15 years old. So what year did Stihl start making complicated saws with lousy carburetors, more restrictive mufflers, and less HP?

NovaMan said:
That's just the thing: I'm not comfortable with a 15 year old saw that may have been beaten within an inch of its life and might give up the ghost in a year.
I hate it that the EPA has to ruin everything I like, and I dislike it that new saws are more complicated, which makes me want an older saw... but maybe not 15 years old. So what year did Stihl start making complicated saws with lousy carburetors, more restrictive mufflers, and less HP?

Not all 15 year old (or 25 year old) saws have been beaten - some have barely been used. I get homeowner 031,032, 041 and 028 all the time that barely have the paint scratched. Remember, there were no "homeowner" Stihls in that era, so they bought what was available, and they were what the "pro" of the day bought - no choice. I see see two years old saws have definitely been beaten to death...

My top choices - homeowner 028 , 028S, or if later models are what you want - 026, 034 super, 036 from 1990 to 2000. You can get them cheap, a quick fuel system overhaul and they are good as new.

EPA? Around 1998 progressing up to today... Oh yes, they work fine even today... a couple of 10ths of a HP less is like using your new chain for a couple of cuts - no big deal. More complicated? hardly, and in fact much easier to work on...

fwiw about 3 months ago I saw a 028 at a local shop for $150 that is a definate go get it. For $225 I would spend another 60 buck buy a brand new husky 350 and you now everything is new not refurbished you would have a 2 year warrantee and for as little as you sound like you would use it it would last a very long time with any reasonable maintenance.

Buck

that are the scpas

Model: 028 WOODBOSS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MANUFACTURED BY: STIHL ANDREAS MASCHINENFABRIK
STUTTGART, GERMANY
SERIES OR ASSEMBLY NUMBER:
YEAR INTRODUCED:
YEAR DISCONTINUED:
ENGINE DISPLACEMENT: 47 cc (2.87 cu. in.)
NUMBER OF CYLINDERS: 1
CYLINDER BORE:
PISTON STROKE:
CYLINDER TYPE: Aluminum with chrome plated cylinder
INTAKE METHOD: Piston ported
MANUFACTURER ADVERTISED H.P.:
WEIGHT : 5.2 kg (11.5 lbs.) powerhead only
OPERATOR CONFIGURATION: One Man operation
HANDLEBAR SYSTEM: Rigid
CHAIN BRAKE: none
CLUTCH: Centrifugal
DRIVE TYPE: Direct
CONSTRUCTION: Die cast magnesium
MAGNETO TYPE: Bosch flywheel magneto
CARBURETOR:
MAJOR REPAIR KIT:
MINOR REPAIR KIT:
AIR FILTER SYSTEM:
STARTER TYPE: Automatic rewind
OIL PUMP: Automatic
OPERATING RPM:
IGNITION TIMING:
BREAKER POINT SETTING:
FLYWHEEL/COIL AIR GAP:
SPARK PLUG TYPE:
SPARK PLUG GAP:
CRANKSHAFT MAIN BEARINGS:
FUEL TANK CAPACITY: 520 ml (17.5 fl. oz.)
FUEL OIL RATIO: 40:1
RECOMMENDED FUEL OCTANE: Regular grade
MIX OIL SPECIFICATION: Stihl chain saw mix oil
CHAIN PITCH: .325 in.
CHAIN TYPE:
BAR MOUNT PATTERN:
SHORTEST GUIDE BAR SUPPLIED: 40 cm (16 in.)
LONGEST GUIDE BAR SUPPLIED: 53 cm (21 in.)
COLOUR SCHEME: Grey with Orange top
PAINT CODES:
ILLUSTRATED PARTS LIST:
SERVICE MANUAL

that are the scpas

Model: 028 WOODBOSS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MANUFACTURED BY: STIHL ANDREAS MASCHINENFABRIK
STUTTGART, GERMANY
SERIES OR ASSEMBLY NUMBER:
YEAR INTRODUCED:
YEAR DISCONTINUED:
ENGINE DISPLACEMENT: 47 cc (2.87 cu. in.)
NUMBER OF CYLINDERS: 1
CYLINDER BORE:
PISTON STROKE:
CYLINDER TYPE: Aluminum with chrome plated cylinder
INTAKE METHOD: Piston ported
MANUFACTURER ADVERTISED H.P.:
WEIGHT : 5.2 kg (11.5 lbs.) powerhead only
OPERATOR CONFIGURATION: One Man operation
HANDLEBAR SYSTEM: Rigid
CHAIN BRAKE: none
CLUTCH: Centrifugal
DRIVE TYPE: Direct
CONSTRUCTION: Die cast magnesium
MAGNETO TYPE: Bosch flywheel magneto
CARBURETOR:
MAJOR REPAIR KIT:
MINOR REPAIR KIT:
AIR FILTER SYSTEM:
STARTER TYPE: Automatic rewind
OIL PUMP: Automatic
OPERATING RPM:
IGNITION TIMING:
BREAKER POINT SETTING:
FLYWHEEL/COIL AIR GAP:
SPARK PLUG TYPE:
SPARK PLUG GAP:
CRANKSHAFT MAIN BEARINGS:
FUEL TANK CAPACITY: 520 ml (17.5 fl. oz.)
FUEL OIL RATIO: 40:1
RECOMMENDED FUEL OCTANE: Regular grade
MIX OIL SPECIFICATION: Stihl chain saw mix oil
CHAIN PITCH: .325 in.
CHAIN TYPE:
BAR MOUNT PATTERN:
SHORTEST GUIDE BAR SUPPLIED: 40 cm (16 in.)
LONGEST GUIDE BAR SUPPLIED: 53 cm (21 in.)
COLOUR SCHEME: Grey with Orange top
PAINT CODES:
ILLUSTRATED PARTS LIST:
SERVICE MANUAL

So how does an 026 compare to an 028 Wood Boss? What's a reasonable price for a good used 026?

Nova- quit dithering, get the saw and cut something, in all the time/days you have been asking questions over a couple of hundred bucks you could have been bucking wood. Sh&t or get of the pot, fish or cut bait. do something.

NovaMan said:
So how does an 026 compare to an 028 Wood Boss? What's a reasonable price for a good used 026?

Newer, lighter, and a little more power.

Probably $200-350, maybe a little less. Price depends upon what the market will pay, some will pay more than others.

clearance said:
Nova- quit dithering, get the saw and cut something...
I would if you guys could be unanimous.
I'll see if the dealer knows the history on the 028s, but I think I might wait for an 026.

Wait a minute. I thought we all agreed that NovaMan needed a heavy old saw that's equiped with points. Now someone has suggested an 026? What he really needs to find is a nice clean XL. Nothing says 'tough and durable' like an old Homey.
John..

Quit talking to Nova, the guy is wasting our time, can't make up his mind, like a woman picking a ring. Stand in the middle of the road and your'e gonna get run over. We are here to log, not #^&* the dog. On the ball or down the road.

clearance said:
Quit talking to Nova, the guy is wasting our time, can't make up his mind, like a woman picking a ring.
Them's fightin' words!
I'm trying to figure out what is the best saw for me. If you're not interested in helping, please go elsewhere.

kinda hard to fight over the internet ,at least from my defenition of fight. but i do understand your irritation. good luck with u saw.

OK, what about an 026 with a "beautiful" piston and cylinder for $275?

Anybody got the specs on the 026? There was hardly any info on acresinternet.com. :confused:

Back