Stihl 028AV Coil Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveG

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all. I've just registered as a new user and am hoping someone can help me. I have an older Stihl 028AV purchased in 1986. Up until 8 years ago I used this saw to cut 3-4 cords of firewood a year. Recently I use it for cleaning fallen branches and some firewood. The saw made a popping sound and stopped. I couldn't get it started and suspected it was the coil. The service tech tested it and told me a new coil would be over 100.00 so I decided not to get it fixed but instead to buy a new saw. After looking at the new saws (Husky and Stihl) I'm thinking maybe I should either get my old saw fixed or buy a "parts" saw as the newer saws just don't seem to be built that well, plastic everywhere. I can't find the exact coil I need (028AVEQ). I'm really undecided on what to do. Get my old saw fixed and hope it runs several more years or bite the bullet and get a new one? Are there OEM dealers that would stock this particular ignition coil? Are there some used parts dealers that may be able to track one down for me? Anyone had a similar decision? TIA.

You would get much more of a response in the chainsaw section of this forum (down the intro page a little more). Lots of guys there that repair chainsaws for a living. They could help you out.

Hi,

Yes you really should either re-post this thread to the Chainsaw part of the AS forum as you will get many more responses or just search that forum on 028. Everything you need to know is there already. The 028 happens to be one of the most loved Stihl models and is worth keeping in most cases. I have rebuilt several 028 saws from reading posts from the chainsaw list with great success.

If your coil really is the problem, Ebay is your cheapest source for finding a used replacement coil and can be found for $17 - $25. You can also upgrade your coil so that you will not need the additional parts such as points or generator that are found on some early 028 models. I recently used a coil/module from a 026 model and it eliminated the need for all the other extra parts mentioned and simplified the installation. This coil will fit several different Stihl model saws. The Sthil part number is 0000 400 1300. "99% of the time you just screw on the 0000 400 1300 ignition module, gap it with a business card and you're up and running."

Good luck with your 028!

Back