Stihl 028AV replacement chain info needed from experts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
A guy gave me a non-running 028 AV chainsaw that has been stored for few years.
When I checked the powderhead I seen molasses in the gas tank, carb throttle valve seized due to molasses, compression good at 150 piston/cylinder looks good thru muffler port. The power head plastic and other visual other than a worn out chain appears to be very low hour saw. I see a number 3 on the Drive links.

I cleaned tank and installed carb kit after ultrasonic cleaning the carb and replaced in tank fuel filter powerhead runs good and starts easily.

It has a 18 inch Stihl roller nose bar, a 66DL, .050 gauge, 3/8 pitch WORE OUT CHAIN. (a .063 gauge chain will not fit into this bar groove)

I see a STIHL 3/8-7 tooth rim sprocket on this saw.

I'm looking for a replacement chain and see these two on flea bay for sale and need your opinions. I mainly cut small green firewood and hand file the chains on my other stihl saws myself with a 3/16 to 7/32 file and use aggressive cut chains in my other Stihls. (no small tooth low kickback type stuff) My other stihl saws are 16 and 20 inch bars and this saws bar and chain combo is little strange to me (gauge/pitch) is why I'm asking? Also is this Carlton chain any good vs the Oregon and would these be good replacement chains? (heard a rumor that Carlton is made by Oregon)
I could buy two of the Carltons vs one of the Oregon at this price???

STIHL 044 18" CHAINSAW CHAIN CARLTON BRAND 3/8 PITCH .050 1.3MM GAUGE 66 DL for $10

or

72LGX066G Oregon Full Chisel Professional chainsaw chain 18" 3/8 .050 66 DL for $17.55

+1
a .325 18 inch bar stihl rs i what I've run on those saw's for 20 year's my favorite setup on those and my 261.

I've had a lot of 028s. Best setup is .325 .063 ga 16" 67 dl. Running a 3/8 will work depending on wood etc. An 028 Super would pull it a little better

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I have that same setup on an 028 super. All my other 028s have 16" bars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had a lot of 028s. Best setup is .325 .063 ga 16" 67 dl. Running a 3/8 will work depending on wood etc. An 028 Super would pull it a little better

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I think maybe my other Stihl saws bar and chain are what you describe.

What I'm asking is: Are the above chains a good setup for this saw using the existing .050 bar and the 3/8 sprocket that I described above?

And if so are Carlton chains any good?

I did not want to change the sprocket and bar, I just want to replace the existing worn out chain with a good aggressive cut type chain.

I think maybe my other Stihl saws bar and chain are what you describe.

What I'm asking is: Are the above chains a good setup for this saw using the existing .050 bar and the 3/8 sprocket that I described above?

And if so are Carlton chains any good?

I did not want to change the sprocket and bar, I just want to replace the existing worn out chain with a good aggressive cut type chain.

Yes, Carlton chains are good chains. 3/8 .050 should be fine.

Yes, Carlton chains are good chains. 3/8 .050 should be fine.

Thanks: (I'll order one Carlton and if it's any good I go for a spare later) don't want to get too much in this saw just yet, might fly apart and become just a parts saw for my others.

I noticed you listed that you are using a 67DL on a 16 inch Stihl bar? (66-67DL is normally for a 18 inch bar on a Stihl 028 is why I ask)

Thanks: (I'll order one Carlton and if it's any good I go for a spare later) don't want to get too much in this saw just yet, might fly apart and become just a parts saw for my others.

I noticed you listed that you are using a 67DL on a 16 inch Stihl bar? (66-67DL is normally for a 18 inch bar on a Stihl 028 is why I ask)

I have mine set up for .325 .063 67 dl. It should be 60dl for 3/8, I would count the driver links on my old chain to be sure.

Any of you guys that might be interested in what appears to be good Carlton chainsaw chains very reasonable at $8 each with free shipping you might check out this guy on flea bay. I bought two at $16. They came in the Carlton box, not a generic box. He immediately accepted the $8 each offer. These chains use the 7/32 file and cut aggressive.
ebay number 272433556774

Got the 028AV starting running and cutting real good with the new chain. The Carlton new chain kinda causes the 028 to bog down little bit with the 18 inch bar on green wood with a 16 inch log. (full bar cut)
Cannot force the cut with the saw dog or the 028AV will bog down.
Do not mind that stalling and bogging in the bigger stuff for firewood cutting because I very rarely get into the bigger stuff and if I do I have couple other Stihls I can reach for. If I was constantly felling larger trees the bogging and under powered 028AV with the aggressive cut chain would not be desirable for me.

Any of you guys that might be interested in what appears to be good Carlton chainsaw chains very reasonable at $8 each with free shipping you might check out this guy on flea bay. I bought two at $16. They came in the Carlton box, not a generic box. He immediately accepted the $8 each offer. These chains use the 7/32 file and cut aggressive.
ebay number 272433556774

Got the 028AV starting running and cutting real good with the new chain. The Carlton new chain kinda causes the 028 to bog down little bit with the 18 inch bar on green wood with a 16 inch log. (full bar cut)
Cannot force the cut with the saw dog or the 028AV will bog down.
Do not mind that stalling and bogging in the bigger stuff for firewood cutting because I very rarely get into the bigger stuff and if I do I have couple other Stihls I can reach for. If I was constantly felling larger trees the bogging and under powered 028AV with the aggressive cut chain would not be desirable for me.
Your new chain depth gauges might be set low. Did you check them ?

I like .325 on my 028Super. Don't know if it's the added pep from the Super or if .325 is really that much easier to pull, but I don't notice any bogging. I run at 18" on it. Probably not worth converting over. But food for thought should the bar and/or sprocket wear out.

Back