Stihl 029 - clutch drum replacement - part question?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, that drum and sprocket are past due for replacement!

Bailey's Woodland Pro chains used to only be re-badged Carlton chains. If you like Carlton chains, they were the same thing.
A few years back they started using TriLink for some of their non low-kickback chain, because Carlton stopped making it. If you don't like TriLink, you won't like these either.

It is a fair question to ask Bailey's before ordering, who made the chains you are interested in.

Philbert

Thats my biggest issue with the Woodland pro chains, there not as consistent as the Carlton branded chains. It seems like Carlton kept the best stuff for there own brand. You might get Woodland Pro that is spot on out of the box and you might not. I have had more issue of it not being right then of it being right.

I once had a roll of Woodland Pro where 30-40% of the one side cutters that were not even sharpened. How can that happen?
Even some of the better Woodland pro still has wide variance in raker depths. I know that most any new out of the box chain will benefit from a file put to it before use but the raker depth should not be that far off that it needs to be addressed before it would even cut decent before use.

I find that unacceptable.

I am afraid his crankshaft seal may be blown, from the look of the crud.
Wouldn't a bad seal cause an air leak and more of a running issue? I would think that an air leak combined with a dull chain and buried bar oak would have already killed that saw. I guess that we need a video of the saw in action. I think that the crud is just bar oil and sawdust.

This pic is what made me wonder about it. The sawdust sticks to the oil slung off of the crankshaft. I
suppose that it could be from the oil pump, but I doubt it.
Worth a peek. I have seen lots of guys nursing/using a saw with an air leak for a long time, could be running extra rich from a clogged air filter to compensate.
But the radial pattern off of the crank makes me think oil seal.INSIDE HUB 2.JPG

Wouldn't a bad seal cause an air leak and more of a running issue? I would think that an air leak combined with a dull chain and buried bar oak would have already killed that saw. I guess that we need a video of the saw in action. I think that the crud is just bar oil and sawdust.
That was my thought on the crud in the pics. Possibly oil on the clutch/ drum to cause it to slip. I never had to replace a clutch and I was pretty hard on saws in my younger days.

This pic is what made me wonder about it. The sawdust sticks to the oil slung off of the crankshaft. I
suppose that it could be from the oil pump, but I doubt it.
Worth a peek. I have seen lots of guys nursing/using a saw with an air leak for a long time, could be running extra rich from a clogged air filter to compensate.
But the radial pattern off of the crank makes me think oil seal.View attachment 817793
Interesting idea but wouldn't any mix/oil from a bad crank seal have to go around the BIG clutch implosion washer and through the actual clutch to get to the inside face of the clutch drum? Seems sort of unlikely to me.

Yes drum looks much better clean. Looked like deep grooves in it when it was dirty so the clutch would have had mating wear marks. I would still suggest pulling the clutch to have a look around in there and also for the experience.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Interesting idea but wouldn't any mix/oil from a bad crank seal have to go around the BIG clutch implosion washer and through the actual clutch to get to the inside face of the clutch drum? Seems sort of unlikely to me.
I haven't received the new clutch yet and have not removed the old clutch, but I shined a light around the edge of the clutch and could see a little back behind it and it actually looks pretty clean back there from what I can see. I can't seen any oil back there. As far as the air filter goes.....um....well, (yikes) I have a new one on its way that I ordered when I ordered the new drum because the current one was very clogged :-(

I brushed off the dust on both sides of the current one a few days ago, so I can't show you what it looked like before, but I'm guessing dust from a dull chain clogs the filter and if I were throwing chips, I wouldn't have as much of a problem, correct?
Is there a way to clean the fleece filter to get more life out of it? When I brush off caked-on dust, it still seems the fleece is completely clogged. Should I soak it in something, like denatured alcohol to clean it? For what it's worth, the saw has been running fine and is not running rich.

I haven't received the new clutch yet and have not removed the old clutch, but I shined a light around the edge of the clutch and could see a little back behind it and it actually looks pretty clean back there from what I can see. I can't seen any oil back there. As far as the air filter goes.....um....well, (yikes) I have a new one on its way that I ordered when I ordered the new drum because the current one was very clogged :-(

I brushed off the dust on both sides of the current one a few days ago, so I can't show you what it looked like before, but I'm guessing dust from a dull chain clogs the filter and if I were throwing chips, I wouldn't have as much of a problem, correct?
Is there a way to clean the fleece filter to get more life out of it? When I brush off caked-on dust, it still seems the fleece is completely clogged. Should I soak it in something, like denatured alcohol to clean it? For what it's worth, the saw has been running fine and is not running rich.
Wash it in warm dish soapy water.

In my experience the 029 struggles in oak above 15" even in perfect operating condition... I have had several, and use them as the main saw I lend out to new users & new guys on my firewood service I run in the fall. They are really robust, but not very powerful, and need to be very sharp to not easily slip the clutch with a 20'' bar in oak.
I would also recommend sharpening the chain & going easy on the rakers when you do, as I find .65 gauge to be too much off the rakers. Needs to be more like .58-.63mm for the 029 IMO. A Sharp chain and nice even rakers, and I am willing to bet this issue will not trouble you anymore!
I would go ahead with the sprocket if you wish to, but the clutch is likely in good shape judging from lack of heat discoloration in the clean rim photo.
If that's the first sprocket you've gone through, then that saw is practically brand new:) Luck:)

old toothbrush!

In my experience the 029 struggles in oak above 15" even in perfect operating condition... I have had several, and use them as the main saw I lend out to new users & new guys on my firewood service I run in the fall. They are really robust, but not very powerful, and need to be very sharp to not easily slip the clutch with a 20'' bar in oak.
I would also recommend sharpening the chain & going easy on the rakers when you do, as I find .65 gauge to be too much off the rakers. Needs to be more like .58-.63mm for the 029 IMO. A Sharp chain and nice even rakers, and I am willing to bet this issue will not trouble you anymore!
I would go ahead with the sprocket if you wish to, but the clutch is likely in good shape judging from lack of heat discoloration in the clean rim photo.
If that's the first sprocket you've gone through, then that saw is practically brand new:) Luck:)
Thanks, and yes, that is the first sprocket.

OK, here are the pics. The "before" pics are after I had brushed off the caked-on dust and tried to clean the filter with gasoline...that's why they are dark. Before I brushed off the caked-on dust, the filter media was yellow. I just followed your's and the guys' instructions and pried the filter apart and cleaned inside and out with dawn (and windex) and water, and that got it alot cleaner.

Attachments

• CARB.JPG
    CARB.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 6
  • FILTER BEFORE 1.JPG
    FILTER BEFORE 1.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 7
  • FILTER BEFORE 2.JPG
    FILTER BEFORE 2.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 7
  • FILTER BEFORE 3.JPG
    FILTER BEFORE 3.JPG