Stihl 029 price

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jrapp

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting this saw. The price is $175.00. I am going to look at it tomorrow. Is that a decent price? I don't know the condition yet. I am adding a saw since my J-red 2240 is in the shop and they told me it will be 2 weeks till they can even look at it! AHHHHHH!!! It won't keep an idle and the WOT rpm's are down. It is only 5 -6 months old.

That would be reasonable price if the saw is in good condition. They haven't made the 029 for quite some years so it is an older saw and may be pretty worn. You'll have to look it over well. For that price it shouldn't be in need of repair and should have a good bar and chain on it.

I personally wouldn't pay over $125 for a non-pro 029 saw of that age.

And that would be if it was in really good shape..

140+ compression - piston looks good - everything works properly - nothing broken

Your $$ - your call
:cheers:
J2F

Thanks for the advice. I am going to at least go look at it. I think my 2240 is gonna be out of commission for a little. It won't keep an idle and when I put it to wood the chain just pretty much stops. It seems like it lost a bunch of power. I wanted to add a bigger saw any way.

Sounds about right if its clean. I bought my 029 Super (sold it a while back) for $200, and it was in terrific shape. 029 value shouldnt be much different...

Went to check out the 029 today. Turns out it is a 029 super. It is in good shape. The shop is going to let me try it for the weekend. They also had a 361 I think, but that is way above what I am looking for price wise and power wise.

Sounds good so far..!!

Letting you try it for the weekend is a BIG plus..!!

With that and it turns out to be a 029 Super...I raise to $150+.
:cheers:
J2F

Went to check out the 029 today. Turns out it is a 029 super. It is in good shape. The shop is going to let me try it for the weekend. They also had a 361 I think, but that is way above what I am looking for price wise and power wise.
Buy it. I've run the 029 (brother's) for years! It has cut BooKoo wood. Make sure you use good oil and MM it! Very good saw IMHO.

Well after cutting with the 029 for a bit over the weekend I bought it. It runs great and started on one pull once warm all day. I also got 2 new chains as well. I only wanted one but there was a buy one get one half off. I am pretty sure all the Stihl dealers are doing it. I am really impressed with the way this thing cuts. I will have to get some pics and post them. Thanks for the advice.

Well after cutting with the 029 for a bit over the weekend I bought it. It runs great and started on one pull once warm all day. I also got 2 new chains as well. I only wanted one but there was a buy one get one half off. I am pretty sure all the Stihl dealers are doing it. I am really impressed with the way this thing cuts. I will have to get some pics and post them. Thanks for the advice.

Sounds good. I personally like the 029 Super. It's a good addition to your herd. Happy Sawing!

Good deal. With a MM it is a fine firewood saw.
Check you email.

They run about $200-$225 here. His take that he was impressed is pretty much what most users declare of the saws performance. For the price they really can't be beat.Glad to see others still awake. In Las Vegas at a conferrence and can't sleep outside my own bed. Treasure Island Resort sure is nice.

sounds pretty good. thats what 025-029's go for over here taking into account what the oz currency should be and being a super even better. running .325 or 3/8?

Running .325. 18 inch bar. I though about going to 3/8.

I've got a chance to buy a used 029 Super later this weekend. He's asking $125. According to the seller it 'runs'. He can't tell me more about it. I'm going to look it when he's back from traveling on Sunday or Monday. I'm going to assume it needs a bar and chain. It's going to need a good clean up. It looks like there is a case with it (also unknown condition). Price seems ok judging from some the comments here.

This is the only picture he sent from his phone.

View attachment 247299

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back