Stihl 029 super issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just have to say that since I am not a saw mechanic I overlooked the carburetor as the culprid. I was pouring fuel into the plug and it fired up until it completely burned out and died. Carb was never pumping fuel in since all the gaskets were gone along with the DIAPHRAM:dizzy: I was seeing extra fuel in the plug probably because I also poured some directly into carb that never fired. I was too quick to ask questions of a problem that was really never a problem at all.

The previous owner started the carb rebuild and never finished so I was blinded with this until I took carb apart and found carb as clean as a whistle, so clean, gaskets and diaphragm disappeared. I'm still waiting for the carb kit to come in but I'm pretty sure that I know what the problem is now.

I will post pics of saw and the outcome when I get it back together.

Last edited:
Update to my problem that is no longer a problem. The carb kit that made this saw run, came in. I installed carb and new fuel hose, filled tank with fresh fuel pulled three times on full choke and it fired. Pulled one more time on half choke it started and all it needed was a little carb adjustment after that. It runs great. I would never have thought that this complete saw was missing all the gaskets and it was overlooked as the culprid.

Here are a few pics of the carb kit and the saw. The carb kit came with two identical gaskets, one was rubber and the other was paper material. I don't know what original gaskets were on carb since they were removed by previous owner but I used the paper one and left the rubber one out. I used the new needle from the kit and there is a difference that the old one I took out of carb had a rubber tip which looked like it was in perfect shape.

All I know is I am very happy with the running saw.

Another pic of saw and my ms390. And a row of split wood thanks to my ms390 and some thanks to my log splitter since I had to finish some off with the old axe.

Both saws need a good cleaning to be put away till spring but I may get the itch to run the 029 for the first time, soon.

Paper and ruber gaskets

Update to my problem that is no longer a problem. The carb kit that made this saw run, came in. I installed carb and new fuel hose, filled tank with fresh fuel pulled three times on full choke and it fired. Pulled one more time on half choke it started and all it needed was a little carb adjustment after that. It runs great. I would never have thought that this complete saw was missing all the gaskets and it was overlooked as the culprid.

Here are a few pics of the carb kit and the saw. The carb kit came with two identical gaskets, one was rubber and the other was paper material. I don't know what original gaskets were on carb since they were removed by previous owner but I used the paper one and left the rubber one out. I used the new needle from the kit and there is a difference that the old one I took out of carb had a rubber tip which looked like it was in perfect shape.

All I know is I am very happy with the running saw.

Hey, I dont know if your still following this thread, but I happened to find it and just wanted to let you know that you need to stack the paper diaphram and rubber gasket. the flimsy paper goes on top of the gasket.

Latest posts

Back