Stihl 029

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rudiger101

Reaction score
I have a shihl 029 my dad bought new about 10 years ago. It start fine, idles, and runs up great until it warms up and then dies. I don't trust the local stihl mechanic figuring this out because I have had the saw to him twice. Once he returned it to me with bad gas. A friend of mine told me he had the same problem with his dirt bike and it turned out the crank seals were bad and when the motor warmed up it would lean out. Any advice on what it might be and what to do about it. Thanks
P.S. It has had new carb kits, fuel lines, spark plugs and been tuned.

This is a common problem, especially this time of year. It could be tons of things-seals, coil, tank vent, cracked fuel line, and on and on.

Get it hot, let it die like normal, and pull your spark plug. Check for spark. No spark, could be the coil heating up and not working.

Check your impulse line for obvious cracks or nicks that could create an airleak.

I can't remember where the tank vent is on an 029, but find it and check it. If it dies, crack open your fuel cap, let air in, and if it starts and runs fine, could be your vent not letting air flow.

Beyond these easy checks, I'd look at seals.

Lakeside53 will get on here later on and give you all the advice you could ever use.

Welcome to AS.

Jeff

I can't add much to what Jeff said...

-definitely check the spark when hot.
- probably not crank seals if it idles fine when cold.

Does it die "dead", like someone flipped off a switch, or does it chug splutter and whatever...??

Back