Stihl .031 ignition ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually just ordered a Nova II for a 031 yesterday. It's for the saw I was given over the weekend. This solution is cheaper than a new capacitor and more reliable. What's not to like?

I think I'd use something besides hot melt glue. I'm going to try to find somewhere to run a bolt through it. Maybe make a little bracket to go under one of the coil bolts.

I actually just ordered a Nova II for a 031 yesterday. It's for the saw I was given over the weekend. This solution is cheaper than a new capacitor and more reliable. What's not to like?

I think I'd use something besides hot melt glue. I'm going to try to find somewhere to run a bolt through it. Maybe make a little bracket to go under one of the coil bolts.

I found no spot to screw-mount on. Ended up hot gluing on top of the coil. Never came loose. Cable tie it if you want insurance.

I'm working on an 031 AV as well. When I put it together I'm worried about the ignition now as it seems all of you have this problem. Well, if I do I can at least see which "fix" you guys like best. :)

I actually just ordered a Nova II for a 031 yesterday. It's for the saw I was given over the weekend. This solution is cheaper than a new capacitor and more reliable. What's not to like

If Lake was still around he would give you what for. Im a fan of points. If that saws ignition lasted 30plus years what would be wrong with fixin it for another 30. OLD SKOOL BABY!:dizzy:

If Lake was still around he would give you what for. Im a fan of points. If that saws ignition lasted 30plus years what would be wrong with fixin it for another 30. OLD SKOOL BABY!:dizzy:

The only thing wrong with it is the cost of the replacement Stihl capacitor:greenchainsaw: The nova module is cheaper and known to be very reliable.

With point, don't you have to adjust the gap and isn't there always a degree of error meaning timing can never be precisely where it should be unless you have a timing gun, am I right?

This is probably kinda dumb to ask but why can't we just use the new style Stihl ignition module? I was working on an 028 WB for a friend and simply installed an ignition module and she ran like a top.

This is probably kinda dumb to ask but why can't we just use the new style Stihl ignition module? I was working on an 028 WB for a friend and simply installed an ignition module and she ran like a top.

031 doesn't take coil with integrated triggering.

With point, don't you have to adjust the gap and isn't there always a degree of error meaning timing can never be precisely where it should be unless you have a timing gun, am I right?

I guess but its not like an old school car distributor. The points are in a fixed location. Im not real anal and set points with a feeler gauge and saws seem to run alright to me. Like Lake said points make nice big spark at low rpms like when pulling rope. I searched and found a thread that tells where to get capacitors from an electronics wharehouse and wire them in. Ive done it and had no problems.:)
This isnt that post but its a relevant one. http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=25974&highlight=031+ignition

Last edited:
I just got my 031 back together this evening. The Nova II module works great. I did as suggested and hot glued it to the flat area on the very top of the coil. I then put a plastic tie wrap around it to keep it from vibrating loose. I wire it with the polarity reversed, only have to take it back apart and wire it as indicated. DO NOT reverse the polarity on a Nova II on your 031. It will run but won't rev at all. I put an eyelet on the - wire and and put it under a coil bolt. The + wire was spliced in with the wire that originally went to the points, as well as with the kill switch wire. The saw runs great. I can start it warm with a quick 6" or less pull. It starts VERY easy. I highly recommend this conversion.

BTW, what's the factory RPM setting for these things. Mine wants to turn about 9300-9500.

I just downloaded a copy of the 030/031/032 service manual. The 032 turns 12K with max power at 10,000 RPMs. The 031 makes max power at 8,500, but gives no max RPMs. I don't think I'd want to set mine any leaner than 9,500. That just sounds aweful low to me. But the engine seems to run perfectly.

No reverse wiring? Now I am confused too. Maybe Brad has an electronic flywheel? Maybe there are two different versions of the nova (and all the compatible) modules? When Brad said 9000 RPM, was it with chain or without? I remember last 031AV I had ran up to 13K to 14K RPM without chain. Now that I am still waiting for some parts to complete my current 031AV, I can't pull it to see who is right. Maybe someone can try both polarities and let us know?

I know 031AV has reverse polarity on the coil, that is for sure. With atom brown module, the instructions specifically mention the need to reverse the wiring. If Brad is right, then the Nova II module has a different design and it is smart enough to accommodate the reverse wiring?

Internet is full of right and wrong info and I am not sure I was right anymore. Please don't hold me against my words. I was just trying to help.

Patience

Some times it doesn't work out

The Stihl dealership "forgot" to order my ignition module.....until today (a month later) after I called to find out where it might be!

It's gonna be here Thursday :greenchainsaw:
Then I can put this saw back together and get smore pic's up

:cheers:

Got the new Trigger Unit.

Puting the saw back together - the carb is a BEAR to get back onto the cyl head. I punctured the rubber manifolt - using some clear silicone to seal it up - if it gives me grief after it's back together, I'll come back and change it out.

Tips or tricks on getting that darn carb spring clamp over the attach point on the cylinder?

Back