Stihl 031av flywheel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryce031

Reaction score
I have a 031av stihl chainsaw. I upgraded it to a electric chip a while back it was running pretty good for a bit. Then it wouldn’t run at all really beside an occasional sputter and die if I throttled it. Found out the fuel line seal to the fuel tank itself was cracking, and a gasket to the carb was also warped and not seated correctly. I put it on the shelf for about a year now because I have a chainsaw, and I found the 031av in the trash and didn’t want to spend more money and time on it. Well I’ve got nothing else to do so might as well tinker with a saw. I’m gonna buy a carb kit, the fuel hose, but I was wondering which flywheel I need? I remember researching on it a while back about the flywheel but I can’t remember if I had the right one. My chainsaw says 031AV and below it it says ‘electronic’ with the ‘ct’ being the only visible letters left. But I know I replaced it from points and condenser to an electric chip.

So my main 2 questions are:
A: what flywheel do I need for it to run correctly with electric ignition chip upgrade
B: if I have the correct flywheel, my flywheel has 2 cooling fins broken off, should I buy a new one?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 15
You need the electronic flywheel for an 031ave. Or you can remove the flywheel key and advance the points flywheel about 1/4-1/2” on the outside of the flywheel. Once I verified the correcting timing position, I put a little green loctite on the shaft to guarantee it won’t slip at all.

You need the electronic flywheel for an 031ave. Or you can remove the flywheel key and advance the points flywheel about 1/4-1/2” on the outside of the flywheel. Once I verified the correcting timing position, I put a little green loctite on the shaft to guarantee it won’t slip at all.
Okay so mine says 031av electronic. What does electronic mean? Is there an 031ave model or are you saying ave referring to the 031av electronic.

Electronic means it has the chip in it already. No points. Doesnt mean the cover is original though. Your flywheel looks like it has the two windows in it for adjusting points. I dont think the electronic flywheel has them, but its been a few years since i went through either of mine. Usually if you try using the points flywheel, it will run but with little to no power and the muffler could glow red cause the timing is so far off.

This is confusing to me. I would guess your flywheel is for an electronic ignition as the apparent windows look like they are not removable for access to points. But you said you removed points and condenser, so ...

Back