Stihl 031AV on craigslist--deal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnymidnight

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
:newbie:
I've been passively searching Craigslist for a saw. I'm an apartment dweller, but once in a while I help people with some cutting and wouldn't mind having my own saw.

Here is the ad:

I have a stihl 031AV w/16' bar and extra 3/8" chain. I just rebuilt the carburator. This saw has plenty of power and runs great!

I'm not that familiar with these saws, so any guesses how old this one is? I understand that some of the old 031's had a "hand guard" instead of a chain brake. If that's the case, I'm probably not interested. Is this one of those saws?

I looked through the FAQ, but I didn't see any info about this saw in particular, or a general list of things to check.

Its a toss up between the Craigslist saw and a new MS170, which would probably put up with my relatively light use. Just looking for a hand feeling out the Craigslist saw.

Thanks,
Kevin

Welcome to the site. You didn't mention the price of the saw, and I'm not sure how things work in Wisconsin, but around here if an 031 on Craigslist was a good deal it would be gone by the time you could post your question about it.

It might pay off to spend some free time reading about various saw models on this site. That way you could educate yourself so that if a deal comes up on CL, you can take swift action.

Thanks for the quick response. The price was $110. Lots of trees in Wisconsin, and lots of people putting wood up for the winter, so it's probably gone.

The ad is still up though. Based on the ad, does it sound like it would be worth giving them a jingle?

Stihl 031AV

The 031 is a good saw,I have owned a few of them.It is heavy by todays standards but has lots of power,downside is parts can be hard to find.As to the chainbrake,I think it was optional on later models,on the pictures you sent it looks like the brake lever is missing.The ms 170 is a very light duty saw,IMHO.

Stihls;MS180,2 x 032AV's,034AVS,MS361 PRO
Husky's;340,394XP just got built today,3120XP
Echo's;2 x 302CS,3450CS,3000CS
Dolmar:pS 7300

i never hope to use a chain brake, but i want it to be there if i need it.
+2

If that saw does have the optional chain brake it's probably a "mechanical" one which requires your arm to hit it to be activated.
Most (all?) modern saws have brakes that are also activated my the inertia of a kickback.

Last edited:
Bummer, didn't think so. I never hope to use a chain brake, but I want it to be there if I need it.

Will continue the search for a saw & keep reading ArboristSite. Thanks for the feedback.

And by all means, keep asking questions!

Back