stihl 031av

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you took it apart did you thoroughly degrease the inside of the recoil cover, the big isolation washer, the spring and the rope holder/pawl assembly? They must have no bar oil, no greasy buildup, no oil, no lubrication etc. They should be cleaned with brake clean or degreaser, sat to dry then reassembled.

I usually give one, sometimes two full spins of the rotating assembly AFTER I have enough tension to just barely bring the handle back in to the cover.

Do you know how to pull a bight of rope out between the rope hole and recoil assembly and rotate it around inside the groove to build more tension?

I have never worked on a recoil like this one it wasn't very dirty or greasy I had a hard time getting the recoil back on the saw without it coming undone I did not take the whole mechanism apart mabey that's were I went wrong?

I didn't take the mechanism apart the c clip is in it mabey that's were I am going wrong I just wound it up and there like 10 inches of slack thanks guys. I will mabey puts with it today some I want to ride my petal bike apose to be 45 degrees soon in pa.

I also have a pinched fuel line on the saw I noticed from saw on the side working on the pull rope this saw has been one of the harder saws for me to get right.

I bought used 031 AV from a neighbor in 1997 for $150 and have used it for all kinds of cutting but never needed to do any work or adjustment whatsoever, other then sharpening.

My other saws are quite a different story, but the Husky comes in pretty close in that regard.

Back