Stihl 031av

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fish,
i removed the air filter and drilled one hole in the top,front of the air box. even with the angle of the box the atom fit good. just be sure not to pinch the wire against the carb. with the filter. marty

If I had a dollar for every set of points I replaced in an 031, I would have a lot of bucks.
Yeah Fish, There were many points ignition 031s.
I make a special bracket to fit the coil. Nothing special, kind of like the one Stihl sent with their conversion kit. I have installed about 25 of them with no problems. Even get comments that it never ran so good.
Not too many bad coils, but a few. Check the wiring first. Very easy to have it misplaced so it rubs through.
I learned saw repair on 031,020,015,041,045,051,075,090.
I personally never was thrilled with the 032. Just thought the 031 performed just as well and was easier to repair. Just a preference ,I guess.

I never really liked the 032 either.
What I was trying to say was I have never seen an 031 with electronic ignition, that came in with the 028, I thought.

Fish
The first 028,031 built had points,the newer ones both had electronic ignition.
I have never seen the 032 with points.I never noticed any real improvements on the 032 over the 031 but I really dont mind working on them.
Stilhtech
I will look around and see how many dead 031s are here.I think that I have two or three of them.I will let you know how many that I need.

Stihltech,Marty
Can you please send me a pm or an email with your phone number and a good time to call you.

I wish that we could get the dealer only forum going,like this one.It has been darn dull over there.
Later
Dan
[email protected]

031ave

Hey, thanks, Dan

I'll agree that this is a great forum.

Yea, the 031 was a great saw around the Mobile dimension mill. I built a 40 X 60 shop out of personal use timber from around Sitka, and that saw never let me down.
I will keep looking for a coil. Unless something happens fairly soon, I will need to replace the saw, and I guess the 031 will become a backup.

I have a lot of tree work to do before the weather closes in too much. Short of an all-out pro arborists saw, any recommendations or warnings on the smaller Stihls? Is that 009 a decent saw?

Jim

Fish

Good point, I will pin down my saw guy tomorrow and make sure the coil tested dead. The remark about the flywheel interests me too.

Yes the 009 is a decent small saw. I am hoping you are talking about the newer white models, much improved over the first orange maodel, which I still use. It was my dad's only chainsaw, have to keep it going in memoriam.

The 031s either had points, or according to the ipl, had a trigger
unit, and it also showed the retrofit bracket and module, but not
really an electronic coil by itself. The manual refers to either points, retrofit module, or trigger unit as well. I personally have
only encountered the models with points, and installed the
retrofit kit a few times, which is just a nova/atom module, but it
has a neat little bracket making installation easier. It is getting
rare to see them anymore, they were a great saw, with a
distinct sound.

OK you 30/31/32 lovers. Here is a chance to get so much love you can't stand it. There are enough to make several saws and you can sell the junk on E-bay and recoupe the $250 that I want. Take a look. There are lots of parts. Mike

I have got two 031's one is early 80's with points ignition and the other is an electronic farmboss model. The newer one is having problems as soon as it gets hot it seems like it is loosing spark, it will start missing at high revs, if you let it cool back down it will run fine again, it has got perfect compression and have just put a new carby kit in it. Would anybody know what I should check next. In the old 031 I have never even checked or adjusted the points in the 30 years I have owned it and it has probably done a few hundred hours work.

a fella just dropped off three 031's that he wants to sell as is. says they may run. look in pretty good condition. might need a fuel or ignition. they do have compression

a fella just dropped off three 031's that he wants to sell as is. says they may run. look in pretty good condition. might need a fuel or ignition. they do have compression

How much is he asking? If its not much you could part them out if they turn out to be bad and make a fortune on ebay. If you buy them let me know.

Back