stihl 032av nova II conversion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowchaser

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Howdy, I have an 032av that I just put a NOVA II module on. Ran like a beast for probably 10 minutes, then died. No spark. Was reading somewhere here that grounding is important. thought grounding it to the magnet bolt would be great. Didn't think about the buffers though. Would the nova unit be toast now? Thanks to you guys I found out about this great little item. Looking for ideas. thanks!

I also had to reverse the wires to run right. Heard some folks on here said not to. Why? Wouldn't fire the other way.

Yeah, been digging around, found a lot of people had faulty nova modules. the place I bought it from is sending another for free. If that doesn't work then I will. From what I found, it is part #1118 400 1001? also cross references over to a john deere and Kawasaki. K&T parts house lists it as part #31-9334. I was jumping for joy that I finally got this stupid saw running again, better than it ever has......... briefly. thanks

Seems like when I changed my 031 over I had to change the flywheel to the electronic version to run the nova because the timing was slow with the one that was on it. Mine would run but was very sluggish and ran very hot.
Your Nova II will last longer if you grounded the body to metal rather than plastic so the metal can absorb some of the heat, but don't mount it on a cylinder or something that gets real hot.

yep, i noticed too that the 031 changed flywheels at some point too. If you look at a parts breakdown between the 031 and the 032, there are 2 different flywheels for the 031. One for points and one for electronic. The 032 uses one flywheel for both versions. I think thats why i have read so much controversy on rotating the flywheel on the 031. You would have to rotate with one and not the other. Didn't have to on the 032. It runs errr did run like a banshee for the few minutes. Nothing out of the norm. Then lost spark. Almost wish my 031ave had points so i could test that.

A lot of the guys are keeping the points and changing the condenser to the little red WIMA capacitor instead of changing to the module. I've done both and don't see any difference in how they run but on some of those Stihls it's hard to set the points. On my 031 it was hard to find a good place to put the Nova II. I ended up putting it in the airbox beside the carburetor and running wires to the switch and the coil.

Yeah, been digging around, found a lot of people had faulty nova modules. the place I bought it from is sending another for free. If that doesn't work then I will. From what I found, it is part #1118 400 1001? also cross references over to a john deere and Kawasaki. K&T parts house lists it as part #31-9334. I was jumping for joy that I finally got this stupid saw running again, better than it ever has......... briefly. thanks
Is it actually a Nova chip ? or 1 of the generic ones with chevron ribs, does it have Nova or Nova2 cast into the alloy side of the casing ? I have had several failures like you describe with the generic ones of various brands; but have yet to have a failure with a genuine Nova or Nova 2. I have fitted a dozen or so to various saws The Nova 2 is a smaller size than the original Nova. most used on Stihl saws seem to require the + connection to ground & a good contact is a must . I was advised a time back by a electronics guy to mount them with the alloy side of the case toward the heat/cylinder, have now idea if it helps, but as said up to now no failures will the genuine chip.

Mine says NOVA II cast in it. I grounded it to one of the magnet bolts. It ran great right off the bat, then died just as fast. I did have to reverse the wires. My profile pic shows where i mounted it. Perfect spot and the case is aluminum, so itll definatly draw heat away.​

here you go.
nova II on ebay wil bring up a million of them. #31-8786
Oregon #33-053
john deere/stihl/Kawasaki #m70114

Just an update for anyone that cares. the new NOVA II replacement works like champ! Must have just been a defective.

Back