Stihl 038 AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trailbossusa

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Stihl 038 AV Age?

I found a guy who has a Stihl 038 AV that he is willing to do some trading for. The saw doesn't run at the moment, but I determined that it has a fuel problem from briefly looking at it. I'd like to know if anyone can tell me about how old this saw may be and if it's a very good saw (when running of course). I have read where there was a "Magnum" and a "Super" 038 also. This saw has 038 AV on it, it does not say anything else. Any help would be appreciated as I may be able to trade him even up for a MS180 that I use to trim limbs with. (don't tell anybody, I know it's a steal! "Stihl") :laugh: Although he does want a smaller saw and the MS180 is practically brand new. I use my 031 AV to cut firewood with, but would like to have something that I can get parts for.

Thanks

Last edited:
trailbossusa said:
I found a guy who has a Stihl 038 AV that he is willing to do some trading for. The saw doesn't run at the moment, but I determined that it has a fuel problem from briefly looking at it. I'd like to know if anyone can tell me about how old this saw may be and if it's a very good saw (when running of course). I have read where there was a "Magnum" and a "Super" 038 also. This saw has 038 AV on it, it does not say anything else. Any help would be appreciated as I may be able to trade him even up for a MS180 that I use to trim limbs with. (don't tell anybody, I know it's a steal! "Stihl") :laugh: Although he does want a smaller saw and the MS180 is practically brand new. I use my 031 AV to cut firewood with, but would like to have something that I can get parts for.

Thanks

The 038 is a good saw, but just about as hard to find parts for as a 031.

Once you get the saw you can measure the bore of the cylinder to determine which 038 it actually is. Top covers get switched around all the time and aren't too reliable in determining which you have.

Make sure the gas tank isn't broken. Also you can check and see if it has a bing carb, those are sweet.

038 is on my list of favorite saws. Up there with the 041 and 044. I have used an 038AV a bit (my dad's saw), and really like it. He always runs full chisel. Always ran great, new in '84 I think. If its cheap and has good compression, jump at the deal! Wish I had an 038 mag or super. At a flea market, some genius was selling a 038 mag with the absolute crap beat out of it, looked really bad, faded, and like it had been through a tornado or something for I think $400. :D

I figured that it was older, but didn't think that it was that old. I wasn't sure when Stihl changed over to the newer model number system? I have two 031's. One that I use alot and the other one needs a muffler in which I can not find anywhere. I'm not sure that I need another saw that I'll have to search the world over if I needed a part.

Thanks a bunch for the info!! :bowdown:

trailbossusa said:
I figured that it was older, but didn't think that it was that old. I wasn't sure when Stihl changed over to the newer model number system? I have two 031's. One that I use alot and the other one needs a muffler in which I can not find anywhere. I'm not sure that I need another saw that I'll have to search the world over if I needed a part.

Thanks a bunch for the info!! :bowdown:

I have several 031 mufflers http://cgi.ebay.com/Stihl-031-AV-Muffler_W0QQitemZ290037216461QQihZ019QQcategoryZ79669QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem. And tons of other 031 and 038 parts.

I hear ya reto. I'll look into it. Thanks.

Now get this. It is a done deal. A three year old Stihl MS170 (hardly used) traded even up for a Stihl 038 AV "SUPER" with a 20" bar. As stated above, the 038 didn't run. About 15 minutes and a new fuel filter and she fired right up. This thing is a brute compared to the 031's that I have run since I was a kid (about 25-30 years ago and still runnin' the same ones) :cry: . The 038 must hold a half gallon of gas, at least 3 times as much as the 031. Man does it throw the chips! But it is heavy and louder! It sounds and feels as if I'm holding a 16 horse Kohler out there compared to what I'm used to. I only test drove it on a log laying in the yard, I haven't been out in the field with it yet, but I think that it may be a back breaker. I may just have to get used to it. The benefits of it's superior cutting performance and reach may outweigh the added weight.
The now previous owner is a family friend and he just simply wanted a smaller/lighter saw since he doesn't really cut much of anything anymore. Plus this 038 was broke down at the time. I made sure that he was pleased with the MS170 for his needs. I have a MS180 that I use for trimming too that I was going to trade, but changed my mind. In my opinion the MS170 and the MS180 are pieces of (&!t for trimming and especially for cutting firewood, yet he liked it very well and said that it was just what he needed, so who am I to argue? He said that he bought the 038 saw new in 1984, it's still old, but 10-15 years newer than anything I've run and owned (031's). Hopefully I'll get to try it out really well tomorrow.

Will I have dreams about it tonight?

Is this a good deal or what? :cheers:

Last edited:
Going to cut with the 038AV tomorrow, while I wait for my cylinder to come back from being honed (don't really feel like buying a ball hone). Have to cut a couple cords to heat the shed. I started today's cutting with an 041 with full chisel, but found out the oiler was missing parts, and spewing oil out the front of the saw. Switched to an 044 for a while, but that had a really dull chain, and I forgot my file at home. :D If you think an 038 is heavy for a firewood saw, try an 041. In my opinion, it sure made the 044 feel lighter. :D Forgot a bungee cord for the four wheeler to hold the 041 down, and had to hold it with my left arm while driving with my right. My left arm isn't my stronger arm, and I was working hard not to let the chain get dinged up on the cargo rack (no suspension in back on the four wheeler, just like an old 3 wheeler). I almost want to sell my 039, and get an 044.

Back