Stihl 038 Magnum and 019t Find

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whitty21

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Picked up these two off Kijiji for a fair price.

As always I forgot to take before pictures, but I spent some time cleaning them up today and taking a look at them.

The 038 needs a fuel line, tank vent line, and an air filter and air filter cover. Someone in the saws past decided to "modify" the cover with a drill. Also, the footrest area of the tank has a chunk broken off but it seems structurally sound. That being said the saw pulls 155psi on the tester and starts 1st pull
20170131_195837.jpg 20170131_195853.jpg 20170131_195909.jpg
The 019t won't start and I have not gathered the patience to tear into that disaster. It looks like the muffler port shroud is missing and the venting on the case around the muffler has broken away a fair bit, but besides that seems funcional
20170131_181212.jpg 20170131_181225.jpg

I'd run her like she is. That is a classic example of an 038. Battle scarred and broken, intake side of the piston is scarred up from running without a filter yet she pulls like a mule and keeps putting wood on the pile.

Pretty sure she would refuse to run with a chinese tank.

I'd run her like she is. That is a classic example of an 038. Battle scarred and broken, intake side of the piston is scarred up from running without a filter yet she pulls like a mule and keeps putting wood on the pile.

Pretty sure she would refuse to run with a chinese tank.

I think thats the plan,

Going to put some new lines and a filter in it and give it to my brother to see if he can manage to kill it

Good score. I have read a lot about the aftermarket parts and very very few people have bad things to say. I doubt many of those people are professional loggers that start a saw in the morning and keep cutting till the whistle blows at quittin time each and every day. But for someone like me who has a few older saws and need to keep the pipes from freezing the huge savings is more than worth it and gets the job done. I just completely rebuilt an early 044 with big bore for less than $200. A new 461-- $1000+. But thats just the take from a newby who has had too much time on the computer the last few weeks

Burn that 019, lol. The whole saw has to come apart just to get to the carb. They are perhaps that most hated Stihl ever.

I am really beginning to think that I am the only one who likes these things. Maybe is because I have had 8 or 10 of them, or maybe its because they're so cheap....

I am headed to Ontario to visit my folks. I may have to make it a work equipment trip. I could use a second 193T for a backup.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Back