Stihl 038 Out of Gas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam R

8mm Socket
Reaction score
Okay folks, I need a couple more brain cells on this one.

I've got an 038 in the shop that I just put a new top end on... In? Whatever the way, it's got a brand new Stihl 52 mm (Magnum) p/c, base gasket, rings, etc. Also tuned the saw up with a new air filter, fuel filter, spark plug and replaced that godawful (and missing) grub screw tank vent w/ the superior Echo style vent. Also checked p/v before & after, and it checked out there. Seals are probably kind of old but it only leaked down .1 BAR in 20 seconds.

The old p/c were exhaust scored, looks like it overheated someway. Rings were stuck... There's pics if anyone wants. But it was toast.

Now it'll start, pretty easily. It'll pop most times on the first cold full-choke pull. Run strong for a few, maybe 20 seconds then run down and die. Restarts after a few pulls (once the pump fills up the carb again, I'm sure) but it's not stable.

Good impulse, too. Fuel lines are in good shape, no leaking.

I'm really suspecting the carburetor but something else that jutted out to me was that the tank doesn't seem to be pressurized. You know how when you take the inlet hose off the carburetor and don't clamp it hose will spew out? This doesn't do that. So I'm not sure if there's something about that which may be affecting running.

One final thing this saw has what I suspect is the original Bing (48A101) carburetor on it. I didn't take it apart because in my experience those old carb pump gaskets are ruined when you take the cover off and I can't easily replace that part. It has no outside issues - at least the throttle shaft isn't loose, it's not covered in tell-tale air-leak grime, and... Actually come to think of it I don't think I did a pressure test.

I'm open to all ideas.

I don't know if I can. A cursory look at the very end of my shift didn't turn up a part # available from my vendors.

That rebuild kit is available from jacks small engine. Many other places have it as well. Replaced one on my o38 magnum a few months back. From my experience the Bing 48 carb is a better carb than the replacement zama that stihl offers.

I have to buy from my vendors I can't use Jack's. I guess I could advise the customer buy it and bring it in... Are we all fairly in agreement it's probably in the carburetor?

Actually the place I work is an Oregon vendor, Rural King. Looked on website could only find a gasket n diaphragm kit.
Think I'll call Bing on Monday see if they have or make a complete rebuild kit. Might just do this guy a solid since he's already shelling out big bucks for the p/c kit.

Does anyone know the p/n for the complete bing kit for this carb? 48A101. I'm looking around but can't find more than the gasket/diaphragm kit.

The Stihl repair kit for the Bing 48A101C is part no. 1119 007 1066. Don`t know if this is availible anymore.

Edit: I have seen it on ebay, should be availible on some places.

When the full kit was available way back when, it was over $50 or so.

Yeah that's what they are going for on Ebay. There's knockoff kits for about $5 but those are made in China and if I know Chinese knockoff carburetors I suspect the quality on their kits are just as dodgy.

oe bing kit worth the price, imo.
bing vs. zama made obvious seat o the pants diff in my m.
my tank doesnt build pressure. grub screw vent.
2 pulls cold.
oe a/f? china have iffy chokes, if they fit at all.
some $$$ already spent, may as well do the rest right.
just my $.02.

I'm referring to the Chinese rebuild kit for the Bing carb. You used one of those? Are they worth it or better to spend $50 for a genuine deal?

oe = original equipment. my preference.
china diaphragm kit might work. if it doesnt, yer out a very few bux.
then try the oe kit.
ive had good AND bad luck w/china kits other than bing. eg: the common rk23.

I ordered one of the aftermarket kits, we'll see how it does. "Meets or exceeds OE standards" it said, "I wasn't born yesterday" said I, but it was about $7 shipped.

One of the problems with some of the aftermarket kits is a mismatching pattern on the pump diaphragm. I've seen it on the HS kits more than once. Some can be trimmed to make work, others are too far off.
But the material used seems to be very similar if not the same.

Latest posts

Back