Stihl 038 Rebuild / Clutch Removal.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n10ct

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've got a Stihl 038 that has smashed a bearing, and the art of getting the bearing out has been quite consuming, ie making my own torx driver to fit in the head etc etc.

I've got it apart but i can't separate the body as the clutch assembly still holds the unit together, there is a triangular assembly and a very fine nut that actuall looks liek its part of the triangular unit, so not so sure about whether that needs to be the pace of clockwise unscrewing or not.

I've been using the other clutch posts on here to get some ideas and info but im just not sure about it and at risk of breaking it i thought id ask the question. I may put up a photo too so some one who knows can see if this is what needs to happen.

From what i can see from the other posts this nut should unscrew (left hand thread so clockwise) and there should be a thin washer under theis then the cluctch should just come apart off the main rod and allow me to seperate and retrieve and replace the smashed bearing.

Everything else looks perfectly okay including the piston, almost looks new.

I've been searching in vain for a service manual? unbelieveable. most companies have these all online as PDF's but no.. stihl want you to order it, or let you download a pdf of safe usage.. go figure.

Cheers

Rich.

If I understand your post correctly, you are looking at the clutch assembly. It comes off as one unit, and is reverse threaded. It is easiest to remove with the piston and head still attached to the case by using a piston stop or rope through the spark plug hole, to hold the piston in place while you turn the nut on the clutch assembly. The clutch assembly will usually be on pretty good/tight so a breaker bar is helpful. Access to an impact gun will help also.
Welcome to site and good luck.

You need a sevice manual.. It's available... part number 0455 121 0123

If you can't quickly get an 038 manual quickly, get an 036 download from someone - it's similar enough that you will be able to pick up the basics, and see what you are getting into...

Latest posts

Back