stihl 041 farm boss help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deer Assassin

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i need a lil help trying to get the fly wheel off i fabricated a puller one like a harmonic balancer puller for a car but dang it dont want to budge so i guess i need to the actual puller any one have a part number for it

also is there a trick to getting the piston in the jug like a special tool to compress ring or shade tree trick

thanks in advance

Use some penetrating oil on it. When pulling rap on it gently with a small deadblow. The only thing holding you back is the shaft key. You could use a heat gun too.

I just use an appropriate three jaw puller and treat it like a fine woman......you can take that for what it's worth, just saying use a soft touch.

if the flywheel is on a tapered shaft like a ms290 then you just loosen the nut about 2 turns and leave the socket on it, hold the saw up by the flywheel and one or two good raps with deadblow on the socket and it will drive the taper back out of the flywheel. I just rebuilt a 290 for a friend and that method worked like a champ. No need for the special tool (on the 290 anyway) good luck..

got the fly wheel off just had to smack it

also got the ring compressed
and in jug

when i pulled the jug off old crankcase there was no gasket but on the used crankcase i am using there appears to be a partial gasket

do i need a gasket?

If your not gonna put in a gasket, at least use a good sealer like Dirko.

Maybe what happened to the P&C your replacing.No gasket or sealer will cause an air leak.

what the deal is i had a tree fall on it and put a quater size hole in the crankcase leaking bar oil

so i figured the saw ran good i found a crank case on ebay with the crank shaft n rod for 10 bucks so what i am attemping is put my piston n jug on it and swap every thing over and i should have my saw back

i have no idea what i am doing all i have ever done is cut wood for 20 years with cheap saws i really like this 041 fb it has good power and showed me the light of the advantages of a good saw even tho it is older than dirt

i will google dirko

10 bucks for an 041 crankshaft, rep sent!!

dirko is the namebrand of Stihl's "special sealant" that is used between crankcases of their saws. Just use some anaerobic sealant like yamabond, I use permatex 2B.

When reinstalling the flywheel be sure the nut is cranked down super tight. Unlike other saws the key doesn't keep the flywheel from spinning. Its made of aluminum and if the nut isn't real tight you'll shear the key. Ask me how I know after going thru 2 keys. Most dealers don't stock them. Stihl dealer told me to use an impact wrench to tighten.
Bob

Latest posts

Back