Stihl 041 Farmboss- Bar oil in cylinder?!?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamradio

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi,
A friend had an old 041 Farmboss (he now has an MS210 and an 044) sitting idle in a corner, caked in oily sawdust. I couldn't stand seeing the saw just sitting in the corner, so I cleaned it up, flushed the tank, and cleaned the carb. I couldn't start it; it seemed like it had a ton of compression. I pulled the spark plug, and bar oil seemed to come out. After I got it all out, it ran great, and it was tearing through sugar maple with a full chisel like a hot knife through butter. But, it almost doesn't seem like its oiling. (I only made a few test cuts; it was raining, and it's not my saw). It hasn't been used since he got the 044 over 10, maybe 15 years ago. But, how could bar oil get in the cyl. ? Shot seals, and it leaked in over time from the oiler?

The 041 oil pump has a rubber sleeve that leaks after a couple of decades, and maybe one of the drive o-rings is short. The pump is driven from a gear outside the bearing but INSIDE the crankcase... So if the pump leaks, the crankcase gets oil in it.. If you are going to take the pump out, remove the internal cir-clip (front of saw just to the right of the bar) and insert a 5mm screw into the pump, then just pull out. Dump all the bar oil out first...

Yeah, those Stihls were not designed to last more than 2 or 3 decades, not
any thing like the quality that can be found today.....

So, how tough of a job is it? Do I have to tear down the saw, and tear the engine apart? Or, is the oiler easily removeable from the side of the saw? Again, it's not my saw; I just want to see it run. I've still got my 039 torn down on the bench, awaiting seals, bearings, and a piston.

If the oiler is in the crankcase then you prolly just need to tear down the saw, pull the head off and your there.

No. you don't need to tear down the saw at all! the oiler removes out though the front of the saw by removing the circlip.. if all goes well, 30 minutes maybe.

Which one of the rebuilds on the 039? :D Right now I'm on piston number 3, since it was fried when I bought it, this piston is junk now, and a ring broke on it (don't know where it went, it was a used, but in good shape piston. Tongith I'll order seals, bearings, and a piston for the 039.

So, how much would it cost me to do that to the 041? Expensive? My local STIHL dealer wants $16 for an oil seal on my 039.

Another question- is it possible to make a full wrap handle for an 039? Some of you may laugh, but I'd really like one. I'm thinking not, since my top handle appears to be plastic.

The "seal" parts for the 041 are cheap... about $10 for the main culprit (the big rubber ring near the top.

On your 039... The seal are expensive, and there are two different seals - depends on whether you want to replace them from the outside, or, when the engine is disassembled.

Well, the 039 is torn down. I just don't want to pay $32 for seals. I'm almost thinking of buying an 044 parts saw off my local STIHL dealer, and rebuilding that (parts seem cheaper, saw is much better quality, in my opinion). My thing is, is that I don't like a really heavy saw. I didn't like my 039 when it had a 20 on it, since I didn't need the added length, and it was heavier. How much more does an 044 weigh?

.. Reuse your old seals.. I do and 99% of the time (on the 029/290, 310 and 039/390 only) they work... because the factory seals are not forced into a smaller hole like ordinary seals.

Be careful with old 44's - make sure you get one with a 12mm wrist pin. Many of the older saws are beat to death. The parts are generally not cheaper than the 039, unless you're talking aftermarket cylinders. If your stilh dealer is selling it as a parts saw... well... it probably is a parts saw.

Same problem but in an 051

Hi Lakeside!

I seem to have the exact same problem with an old 051 I have. I couldn't even pull it over it was so filled with oil. I took the plug out, and drained it- felt like changing the oil in my old car! Anyway, after doing that and putting the plug back in, it started right up. Put a few hydrocarbons in the air for a while, but what can you do...

So I was wondering if you think the 051 could have the same oil pump issue as what you talked about with the 041? Or do you think it's more serious?

yawning_dog said:
So I was wondering if you think the 051 could have the same oil pump issue as what you talked about with the 041? Or do you think it's more serious?

Hey, Lakeside isn't the only one who knows anything about Stihls. ;)

Anyhoo, the 051 has same pump setup as the 041. If the rubber sleeve or o-rings are bad, oil will leak in the crankcase. When I removed the oil pump on my 075 to inspect it, the oil that remained in the passages all ran into the crankcase. I could barely pull it over, and it smoked for a long time clearing out the oil.

And like Lakeside said, it's easy to remove the pump. You will have to remove the inner bucking spike first.

Chris B.

Stihl experts

Chris-

Ha ha! Well it's safe to say that almost everyone here knows more about Stihls than ME! Thanks for the response. I'll check it out. Good to know it's not a major deal. I'm struggling with my 024 at the moment (just one of my many ailing saws). The 051 is next on the list! I'm sure I'll have more questions when I get into it.

I realize this thread is old but it helped fix my old 041 Farmboss. 2 seals, ~$10.00 and about 30 minutes is all it took. Simply remove the circlip and thread a screw into the threaded hole in the pump and use that to pull the pump out. Mine came out easily. Once the pump is out, the smaller shaft slides out of the housing and the smaller O ring can be replaced. The outer seal has 2 holes in it that slip over a roll pin at the front of the housing. Thought if someone else ran across this post some part numbers might be handy.

Make: Stihl
Model: 041 Farmboss (Not the AV)
Year: ? late 70's

ITEM: 9646 945 0340
DESC: O RING

ITEM: 1110 647 9000
DESC: RUBBER RING

ITEM: 1110 120 1601
DESC: AIR FILTER

Now, thanks to all the helpful info on this site, I'm probably stuck using this heavy monster for another 25 years. <grin>

part number?

I've finally gotten around to trying to fix the bar oil problem in my 051. I have the IPL and service manual and the latter shows two styles of oil pump (old style and new style). The IPL only shows a picture of the new style and the part numbers associated with it. I have the old style. Does anyone happen to have the part number of the "rubber ring" for the old style pump? Could it be the same number as what TreyH posted?

The "rubber ring" for the new style pump has this number:
1111 647 9001

Thanks for any help!

Chris-

Ha ha! Well it's safe to say that almost everyone here knows more about Stihls than ME! Thanks for the response. I'll check it out. Good to know it's not a major deal. I'm struggling with my 024 at the moment (just one of my many ailing saws). The 051 is next on the list! I'm sure I'll have more questions when I get into it.

Isnt this fun???????:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Fun

Frustrating sometimes but yes fun! I like the challenge of trying to fix all my dead and poorly running saws while not knowing a lick about what I'm doing. Sometimes I get lucky and I actually find something wrong. Most times I just take a bunch of stuff apart, put it all back together with most of the parts I disassembled and see what happens. After one of those episodes, my little son commonly remarks that I smell like chainsaws. Ahhh yea.

Back