Stihl 041 or Echo cs-590

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis041

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am new here. Found some threads and wanted to post a few questions. I am just a average Jo, cutting fire wood.

I picked up a Stihl 041 farm boss about 10 years ago at a garage sale with a tote of chains bars etc for only $50 - well it was a steal lol. Took it home cleaned it up and it started 2nd pull and runs great, tearing up anything in its path ever since. Haven't done anything except basic maintenance. It cuts about 5-8 cord of wood a year. My father in law has a newer stihl as well but he keeps borrowing mine lol.

I wanted to get another saw since we have a new fire place and will be cutting fire wood for 2 homes now.

I was thinking either get another Stihl 041 farm boss. That way even if one dies parts are interchangeable. Or get a new saw. Lol I got a ryobi 46cc 20" saw and well to say it nice - its not for me. Kind of bogs out to much. Ok for limbing or little work but the old saying - you get what you pay for I think applies. Now I can return that - it was only $99 on clearance at home depot and go with a little more the Echo cs-590 for $400.

My question is -- will it be like my Stihl 041 farm boss ?

I have been researching it and I cant find any negative reviews on the cs-590.
The two saws seem similar in power and weight - both around a 60cc engine and 14 lbs dry.
I like the 24" bar on my stihl but can change the echos 20" to up to 24" if need be.
The only thing that concerns me on the Echo is the plastic handle.. and I haven't found any complaints on it.
But I was wondering could I change it out with the cs-600s aluminum handle if need be, does any one know?

I really dont want to have to work on a new saw the moment I get it. So any one with experiance with the cs-590 please chime in and tell me what you think of it? By the way I am finding the Stihl 041s on ebay etc for around $250 - it is kind of hard for me to pay that for a 20 year old saw that I cant touch before I get it.

Depends on the wood you intend to cut. If you will be routinely having to use a 24 inch bar in hardwoods, bump up to a 70 CC class.

no there is just pine around here. lodgepole and ponderosa. The 20" is actually fine the 24" just seems to balance the saw out better. The power is my main concern. Will the cs-590 perform like the 041 for power? if anyone has used both?

My Opinion......I had an 041 for years and decided to step up to newer saws for several reasons. Parts availabilty became a concern on the 041. I thought it felt heavier and cut slower than modern saws of the same cc (did have good torque). My choice would be the Echo. I have not used one but have read good reports on them, and I dont think the plastic handle will be a problem at all. It can be changed out with the aluminum, but the only thing that will bother the plastic one is if it gets crunched by a tree and that will mess up any material that is used! I believe some of the newer Stihls have plastic handles.
Let us know what you decide and welcome to the forum!

Thank you Zogger and Ronaldo. I think I will give the Echo a try.
I am going to see if I can return that ryobi and go with the Echo cs-590.
I dont think I would use the Ryobi much and I would rather get something I will use for my money.

I will let you know how I like the Echo cs-590 after a few cords through it. Hope they don't close cutting season to soon.

Make *sure* the H screw is as far counterclockwise (rich) as she'll go. Echos ship lean, I guess to pass emissions....I have a box of junk to prove that. Made it nine tanks, toast. Good saw, cut like crazy for several trees, then... but I didn't know about removing carb screw limiters then and getting a realistic tune. Now I know.

If getting it from a dealer, stare that guy straight in the eye, buy the echo oil right there from him, source good non ethanol gas, and tell him you want a real tune on the saw so it doesn't toast from running lean, and that you WILL be running proper fresh mix, and save your receipts and empty echo mix oil containers. Warranty means nothing when they can try to claim you straight gassed it.

I *like* echo gear, it is well built at good prices, I do not like their corporate culture and what they have to do to sell gear in the US and keep the EPA happy.

Make *sure* the H screw is as far counterclockwise (rich) as she'll go. Echos ship lean, I guess to pass emissions....I have a box of junk to prove that. Made it nine tanks, toast. Good saw, cut like crazy for several trees, then... but I didn't know about removing carb screw limiters then and getting a realistic tune. Now I know.

If getting it from a dealer, stare that guy straight in the eye, buy the echo oil right there from him, source good non ethanol gas, and tell him you want a real tune on the saw so it doesn't toast from running lean, and that you WILL be running proper fresh mix, and save your receipts and empty echo mix oil containers. Warranty means nothing when they can try to claim you straight gassed it.

I *like* echo gear, it is well built at good prices, I do not like their corporate culture and what they have to do to sell gear in the US and keep the EPA happy.
I would double like your post if there was a way to do it!!!!!!
Right on.:clap::clap::bowdown:

or better yet, pull the limiter caps so you can tune it to where it really needs to be. sometimes even full rich in the narrow adjustment range isn't rich enough...

Will removing the caps void the warranty? I saw a video on it and doesn't look hard. But will it run decent if turned up as rich as it can go with the caps in? I will be getting it from online. No one carries it in store around here.

Also I saw a video on the muffler mod. Now don't they put the limiting muffler pieces in for spark arresting?

If I don't have to mess with it to much the better.

Ya, technically all that stuff voids the warranty if you mess with it. And the spark arrestor like said, good idea, helps stop fires from happening. I don't take mine out, but I will mod mufflers.

I buy all used saws now so don't really think about warranties, but..same thing if I bought a new saw, too.

Buying online, meh, adjust the carb better.

Plenty of threads on the 590 on the chainsaw forum.

Travis041,
You are going to like the Echo. My brother just got a 600p and we cut with it for the first time today. Pulled the plastic limiters and took the center plate out of the muffler outlet, then tuned it a bit rich and tried it out. Keep in mind that it is not broke in yet and will most likely find even more power when it is. We are both Husqvarna-Jonsered fans, but like the Echo just fine. It has good power , good anti vibe qualities, good balance, oils well and just works.
I think the 590 timberwolf is the same saw, just that the 600 has a few upgrades(aluminum handle and rim drive) not sure if the porting is the same?

Here are the obligatory pictures.
qy8evy3y.jpg
asyvy5u3.jpg

Sent from my Z665C using Tapatalk

Thank you Ronaldo, from what I can find the porting is the same only differences are like you said handle and rim drive. The price is 170 more. I am not worried about the rim drive, since my old stihl has a spur drive and does just fine. I could upgrade to a rim drive. And I could get the Aluminum handle price is $30 for that part. The Echo tech I talked to yesterday said all the parts are interchangeable on the 590 and 600, which makes it nice. I dont think I want to make the mods on it and void warranty. So I am hoping I can tune it decent without popping caps.

I ordered it yesterday and talked them into giving me a discount so I got the saw for $350. It should be here on the first of July. If we get shut down on fire wood cutting here I can still use it for some trees we need to drop on my property and on families ranch. I will let you guys know what I think of it after I put it through a few cord and tune it.

Thank you Ronaldo, from what I can find the porting is the same only differences are like you said handle and rim drive. The price is 170 more. I am not worried about the rim drive, since my old stihl has a spur drive and does just fine. I could upgrade to a rim drive. And I could get the Aluminum handle price is $30 for that part. The Echo tech I talked to yesterday said all the parts are interchangeable on the 590 and 600, which makes it nice. I dont think I want to make the mods on it and void warranty. So I am hoping I can tune it decent without popping caps.

I ordered it yesterday and talked them into giving me a discount so I got the saw for $350. It should be here on the first of July. If we get shut down on fire wood cutting here I can still use it for some trees we need to drop on my property and on families ranch. I will let you guys know what I think of it after I put it through a few cord and tune it.
Sounds great. Good price, too!

Don't fret the composite handle. It actually absorbs more (or transmits less to the user) vibes vs the aluminum handle. It won't feel funny, or weak. Some say it (the metal handles) offer a bit more protection to the saw. From what I've seen, the handle material makes little if any difference when a tree falls on a saw.

I have ran two cord trough the CS-590 so far. And played around cutting on some big stuff as well. And I am happy to say. So far it seems to perform like my old Stihl 041 Rancher. I like that the cs-590 is a simple newer saw. Easy to start, Has plenty of power. It started running even better after the first cord of wood. It is sounding good. But I may get another ear on it, to make sure it is in tune. Its a great saw for a firewood cutter like myself. The one thing you may probably want to do if you get one, is run a little grease around where the double air filter connects to the carb hole. It eliminated dust real good and the filter was hardly dirty but there is no tight gasket there and so little particles may still get in. So just use a little grease. Other than that - nice chainsaw in my opinion. :)

I have ran about two cord trough the CS-590 so far and played around cutting on some big stuff as well. And I am happy to say. So far it seems to perform like my old saw. I like that it is a simple new saw. Easy to start, Has plenty of power. It started running even better after the first cord. It is sounding good. But I may get another ear on it, to make sure it is in tune. Its a great saw for a fire wood cutter like myself. The one thing you may probably want to do if you get one, is run a little grease around where the double air filter connects to the carb hole. It eliminated dust real good and the filter was hardly dirty but there is no tight gasket there and so a little bits may get in. Other than that - two thumbs up.
Good to hear you are happy with it.

i would take both saws one isn't a enough for me but i suffer from CAD

Latest posts

Back