Stihl 044 10mm vs 12mm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

272super

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok, I know it been covered before but I want to clarify something about the difference between the two 044 versions. I know the 10mm is supposed to be the better runner but wasn't it supposed to be rated at 5.1 hp compared to the later 5.4 rating? Did the HP rating coincide with the change to the 12mm? I have a 044 12mm saw that runs fine but I have a good cylinder off a 10mm and would like to know if it's worth swapping it on the 12mm case. I don't get the HP numbers since the earlier models were supposed to be the BETTER runners. Do the numbers lie in this case? Thanks

Last edited:
I reckon that guy in your avatar is Roy Buchanan went and seen him at the piggery in Byron Bay aust. was the late eighties, a good time was had by all. Sorry this has diddly squat to do with your original post.

Ok, I know it been covered before but I want to clarify something about the difference between the two 044 versions. I know the 10mm is supposed to be the better runner but wasn't it supposed to be rated at 5.1 hp compared to the later 5.4 rating? Did the HP rating coincide with the change to the 12mm? I have a 044 12mm saw that runs fine but I have a good cylinder off a 10mm and would like to know if it's worth swapping it on the 12mm case. I don't get the HP numbers since the earlier models were supposed to be the BETTER runners. Do the numbers lie in this case? Thanks

The difference overall is probably little to nothing in the scheme of things unless you like to collect saws. Put the dual port muff on and go cutting.

The biggest difference is the port timing and combustion chamber size. Don't ever be fooled by manufactures HP ratings; some have been severely shorted and others exaggerated...

I'm not sure what's needed for backward swapping but most guys with 12mm 044's jump forward to a good 046 cylinder. The 10-12mm has to do with the wrist pin holding the piston on, so I don't know if a 12mm piston will fit inside a 10mm jug and have the port timing still lay out optimally. If you want the best bang for your buck sell the 10mm jug on eBay or here and put that cash towards porting your 12mm top end or porting a 046 top end.

Either way the gains may or may not outweigh the cost of getting there depending on your outlook on saw performance.

You can bolt the 10mm jug on a 12mm saw and use the 12mm piston without doing anything else. Different timing and combustion chamber as mentioned above just seemed to make more power and compression is higher in that era saw. I know an old timber feller that swears by the 10mm jug 044... I tried to buy the saw, it had 185psi in stock form, he was to old to even start the saw, his boy would start it and then hand it over for him to use. It even sounded different to me than the 12mm 044 that I have.

You can bolt the 10mm jug on a 12mm saw and use the 12mm piston without doing anything else. Different timing and combustion chamber as mentioned above just seemed to make more power and compression is higher in that era saw. I know an old timber feller that swears by the 10mm jug 044... I tried to buy the saw, it had 185psi in stock form, he was to old to even start the saw, his boy would start it and then hand it over for him to use. It even sounded different to me than the 12mm 044 that I have.

Good to know!

Can the 12mm jug be used on the 10mm case? Seems like I've read it's a no go but I don't remember why.

Yes they sound different and cut noticebly different. I have an early 12mm that cuts and sounds like a 10mm.

Can the 12mm jug be used on the 10mm case? Seems like I've read it's a no go but I don't remember why.

The ring-end locations are different ,if you run a 12mm jug with a 10mm piston it will hang the ring-end in a port,

I think I read somewhere that the meteor 10mm pistons now have the same ring locations as the 12mm pistons..................

to get the angry 10mm exhaust sound out of your 12mm 440 when put the 10mm jug on it ,run the early flywheel also ,it is heavier ,i added it to my 440 i put a 10mm jug on ,and my hybrid ,the heavier early flywheel helps pulling a long bar

Without disassembly, is there a way to tell the difference? ie, I have an 044, how do I know if it is a 10 or 12 mm wrist pin? Serial number break, etc?

The impression I have is that the 10 to 12 mm swap happened some years earlier than the hp (and weight?) "jump" in the specs (and addition of the "magnum" sticker).

Who would want a lousey old 044 anyway?

IMG_1010-L.jpg

Back