Stihl 044 Crankcase bearings.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here we have two NOS 10mm OEM Stihl 044 crankcases with factory fitted case bearings, one is a very early version with the angled impulse fitting, the other case has the straight impulse fitting, apart from that they're the same case.....My question is in regard to the shielded bearings used in the later crankcase, surely a non shielded bearing would be more suitable in a two stroke engine?
P1070653.JPGP1070650.JPGP1070652.JPG

Stihl did that for a period in time but they did not work out well , the idea was to keep fines that was getting through the airfilters out of the bearings. I run them in two of my own saws with no problems to date but others found the bearings did not last. They do get oil past the shield so they should last but for some reason they had lots of failures and stopped using them.

Stihl did that for a period in time but they did not work out well , the idea was to keep fines that was getting through the airfilters out of the bearings. I run them in two of my own saws with no problems to date but others found the bearings did not last. They do get oil past the shield so they should last but for some reason they had lots of failures and stopped using them.
Thanks for the info!.....Think I'll be replacing them before they become a problem.

My experience with Stihl shielded bearings has been the opposite of most.

I picked up 9 044 carcasses a couple years ago all in various states of disrepair. Came from a logging outfit. All were missing the top handles, most were missing recoils and clutch covers, some were driven over or had a log roll on them. Some had scoring inside for whatever reason. But they all had the shielded bearings and all were good still. I’ve seen 066’s with thousands of hours on them with those bearings in them that were still good. Not sure if it’s the quality of parts back then or if the shields actually kept the debris out.

Latest posts

Back