stihl 044 died

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think any of the above..... but I would imagine that the idle would have become erratic or speeded up if there was excess air coming in, to gve warning of an impending failure. Is that right? Others know a heckuva lot more than I do....

Unfortunately I wasn't the one running the saw when it died. I was running a load of brush in the truck to be dumped and my brother was running the saw. We were switching off running the brush to be dumped and it happened to be my turn to dump when it died. I don't know what it sounded like. I know the fuel system was all new a year ago, along with the clutch seal and all gaskets. I reused the impulse hose and forgot to replace the flywheel seal. Just wondering if it could've been one of those two. Thanks.

Evan

I just realized what happened. When it quit the seal had gone it. I could get it to run but I couldn't keep it running. Then the next part is my fault. I didn't recognize a seal leak and so I tuned it to run(which was lean) and then I ended up scoring and seizing it.

I also had the shop test it to back that up and they did a pressure and vac and came up with that also. So I pulled the flywheel and replaced the seal and should have everything together and tuned in a couple days(waiting on a part).

Evan

No, another member(stihl 041s) sold me a OEM p/c in really nice condition. No marks at all in the cylinder with factory hone marks, and the piston is just as good. I got the seal in today and the impulse hose should be in tomorrow, so I'll hopefully have it all back together tomorrow and fire it up.

Evan

Back