Stihl 044 I recently bought - Cylinder & Piston kit questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyctreeman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I picked up a Stihl 044 in nice condition, except the fried cylinder and piston, it's a 12mm wrist pin set.

So I had an OEM set with everything but the rings eyeballed for $255 and I figured since the correct rings would cost me about $30, I messaged the guy asking if he'd take a bit less since I had to buy rings. Before he had a chance to answer me, someone bought the set.

I've got $130 in the saw which is complete power head, clean and unmolested, so should I bite the bullet and just get the kit from a Stihl dealer? The complete kit isn't that much more than the set minus the rings on fleabay.

Or should I just button it up with a Meteor set? ... Or is there a better Stihl cylinder & piston set I should consider? I've seen some chatter that the 046 set fits but I don't know.

I'm not keeping the saw, I don't need it, so my decision is going to be based on selling it and how much more I can get for it OEM versus non OEM.

Thanks for any knowledge.

from my experencie you have $130 in it oem kit probs 300 . that brings you to a total of $430 bucks unless this saw is really nice your resale vaule of this saw would only be 400 if that . meteor would be the way to go but i would clearly state that this saws has a meteor top end on it when you try to resell it .

from my experencie you have $130 in it oem kit probs 300 . that brings you to a total of $430 bucks unless this saw is really nice your resale vaule of this saw would only be 400 if that . meteor would be the way to go but i would clearly state that this saws has a meteor top end on it when you try to resell it .
I've checked all the completed sales on fleabay for 044s ... the cheapest one that even approaches the condition of mine sold for $600 plus shipping.

For whatever reason, people on fleabay are willing to pay stupid money for these saws.

I looked at that, the cylinder looks very good ... but ... I'm not keen on using AM piston with it ... and I'm under the impression that the slant fin cylinders are all 10mm?
10mm cylinders will still work on 12mm cases . there is some ealry 12mm 044 s that have angled fins

I looked at that, the cylinder looks very good ... but ... I'm not keen on using AM piston with it ... and I'm under the impression that the slant fin cylinders are all 10mm?

Not all angled fin cylinders are 10mm.
Doesn't matter anyway. You can run a 10mm cylinder on a 12mm saw.

$30 for rings? I paid well under $50 for a complete OEM piston kit which came with everything except the WP bearing.

As far as aftermarket goes, Meteor makes a damn fine piston. OEM quality if not better in my book.
Just don't be buyin a 10mm Meteor piston anytime soon

I would have no problem spending $ on an 044/440 that was wearing a Meteor top end.
Yeah, I'm thinking about trying one out ... I don't need the money per se ... I'm in the mood to just experiment with various saws.
If I just broke this saw up for parts, I could probably make more than selling it as a complete running saw, OEM or AM
If I go the Meteor route ... then I'd use the saw for a while just for the experience.
If I go the OEM route ... then I'd just sell it cuz I really have no use for another big saw.
The money is irrelevant at this point, other than I'm not going to invest my time putting it into OEM condition and not make something on it.
If Mastermind was taking new customers, I'd even consider sending him the saw and new OEM kit just for the fun of it, I've never had a high performance worked saw before.

Looks like your best bet is taking mopars offer and be done with it if your that indecisive on what to do.

If it were me, I'd surely try my damnedest to clean the cylinder. I've saved many out of scrap piles before. If it cleans up saves you $$. If not, all is lost is a bit of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back