Stihl 045 chain oil leak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cj7jeep

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My saw is leaking chain oil pretty bad when I try to fill it up. While on it's side for during filling the oil is leaking out from looks like the case, not at the bar oil feed.

My manual doesn't show much on this. Is there a line running from the tank to the case, that might be bad? Thanks for any input.

Every 056 (which is the same saw as the 045) I've had has leaked from the oil adjustment screw. There's a neoprene skirt that goes around it and they leak without fail. That'd be my guess. They're still available from a dealer for a couple of bucks.

There's no line, the case is the tank.

Jeff

Does it leak when it's just sitting on the floor? Because if it's only leaking when it's on it's side, it may be from the sight glass on the clutch side of the saw. There's a plastic plug on the clutch side that could be loose, broken or whatever...another quick fix.

Or your case could be cracked. Clean the saw up really well, fill it up and let it sit. Your leak should show up.

fishhuntcutwood, thanks for the fast replies. It leaks all the time, sitting flat and on it's side. I have the clutch off and oil pump, it was not leaking around the sight glass.
I will replace the skirt and see how it goes. I was afraid I would have to take the case apart. I can't find crank seals for the old girl and didn't want to go that route. Thanks again for your help.:cheers:

The old 045/056's are really nice saws, and I've long been a fan of them. There's another member on here, CBFarmall, who's very knowledgable about these saws. He's always a good one to ask.

And I wouldn't worry about splitting the case. That skirt will fix most of the leaks you'll come across, at least from my experience.

Jeff

cj7jeep said:
I was afraid I would have to take the case apart. I can't find crank seals for the old girl and didn't want to go that route. Thanks again for your help.:cheers:

I believe you can use the crank seals from the 056.. same size, different part number.

Back