Stihl 046, 460, 066, 660 parts interchange and ability to upgrade

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MD Property

Reaction score
Hello!
This is my first post as a member of Arboristsite.
I'm fairly mechanical, I've built 2 Jeeps and 3 work trucks...so I know how to turn a wrench.

Within the next few months I'd like to purchase a medium size saw, and I'm interested in learning about the 046, 460, 066, and 660 in terms of parts interchange. I'm the kind of guy who will have 1 piece of working equipment, a complete turn-key-ready-to-roll-back-up, a complete parts machine, and then spare common replacement parts. If machine #1 breaks machine #2 rolls into action. But, then if machine #2 breaks befor emachine #1 is repaired...my basement is full of labeled boxes with parts. For my work trucks...if it's 10 pm on a Tuesday night when a power steering pump fails, I have a replacement ready to go. Install the new part and go to work the next day!
I'd like to set myself up the same way with saws...
That's enough introduction for me, let's get to saw talk!

I'd like to have a saw with a 20"-24" bar and one with a 32" bar.
I figure an 046/460 with a 20-24 would be ideal for bucking small wood, and then an 066/660 with a 32" would be ideal for large wood/stumps.
I'm curious, are all guide bars interchangable? Could I just get a 660, then have a 24 and 32" bar for it? And if so, could these bars go onto a 460 if I bought a second saw later down the road?

What kind of difference is there between the 046 and 460? Is it all in the muffler? I try to resist myself, but I can never stop myself from tinkering...so at some point I would end up rebuilding the saw to the best it could be...porting, muffler mods, carb adjustments, etc. If the only difference in the 046 and 460 is the muffler, then I could get whichever saw I find easiest and begin acquiring my collection of spare parts. Then build the 460 with 046 parts to perform like an 046.

I'm interested in learning the difference between the 066 and 660 as well. Once again, like the 046/460...if the only difference is the mufflers and carb adjustments for emissions purposes, then I'll get whichever I find easiest and begin my parts collection for that as well.

I've used an 034 and really like it. I don't know, the trigger just feels better and seems quicker to respond than the new 441 I've used? Both saws are in excellent condition. I'm just curious if the older saws are less restricted than the newer ones...which means the best way to approach the situation would be to buy a new or newer (slightly used) saw and install parts from an older saw to make the new saw less restricted and perform like an older saw?

I'm sorry for the long post and questions...newbie to the saw world...but if you wanted to talk 83-94 Ford/IH 6.9/7.3 diesels I could write you a book! I'm hoping someday I can tribute to the site with information I have. Thanks fellas!

The 046 460 and 660 all will use the same bars and chains.
The 660 will do a great job with bars from 20" up to 36".
As far as the 046 066 v/s 460 660 there is not any real difference in performance after a muffler mod and pulling the limiter caps on the newer saws.That being said some of the older 046's had better performing cylinders as well the older non decomp 066 cylinders were better runners.
Pretty much everything is interchangeable between the 046 and 460.
Many parts will interchange between the 066 and 660, but you have to be careful about the aluminum flywheel saws v/s the poly flywheel ones.

At least on the 066/660, there are more changes between the real early 066's and the later MS660's. But if you have a late model 066 and an early model MS660 they will be nearly identicle if not completely identical. The 66 lineup did not change to flippy caps with the MS saws like the 46 lineup.

I don't have any MS460's, only 046's, but I don't believe there were as many changes on them as there were on the 066/660 line.

Keep in mind, when you're buying used saws, guys swap all sorts of parts between saws. A friend of mine recently sent me a pic of his 044. I told him he had an 046, not an 044. But with a few more pics, I figured out he actually had an 044 engine with an 046 tank, carb box and filter cover on it. He had no idea someone had swapped the parts around.

Last edited:
Md property welcome to the site, and it is a nice thought when you said you hope to contribute:msp_thumbup: The fellas above my post shed some good light for you, and yep there have been changes, as far as parts interchanging like some smaller parts too, I would try and look up some parts, if any are in question and see what all models are listed for that particular part. The 66 flywheel like metioned is a big difference, and that was a good catch. It has been years since I ran a early model 66 so I can't do a fair comparison power VS weight, but would bet the early ones pre smog would be lighter, and have more snap, but recently found out some had crank failures. I run a lot of 660's, but don't have a 66 to run by it's side to be sure. On the other hand the 046-460 we have both at work early, and new I run both frequently side by side. I forget the exact year they switched to the ms series but the ones I think around late 90's to early 2000 maybe the 046 mag was the lightest, and most powerfull. But with a new 460 and adding a D.P muffler you will get it or close, and re-adjsut the carb all like you mentioned. I also believe one of the changes made was porting and timing on the 460. It has been said the 046 mag had better porting, and timing stock, and I bet it would be true of the 66.

Thank you very much for the replies fellas!
I suppose I should save myself the headache and buy the saw new for my main machine, and purchase a used back-up saw. Then I can start collecting used parts such as side covers, chain brakes, carbs, handles, air filter covers, etc.
Based on this thread and others I have read, I think I will run a new MS660 with a muffler mod, porting, and a carb adjustment with a 36" bar. Then later on I will purchase a new MS460 and do the muffler mod, porting, and a carb adjustment and run a 20" bar. Then I will get a 28" bar and chain combo to use on either saw.
My climbing saw right now is just a stock MS192. I'm hoping at some point this summer to purchase a new MS201 and do the common modifications on that saw. Then I can use the new modified MS201 on my jobs, then modify the MS192 to use for my back-up climbing saw, and use it mainly on the smaller pruning jobs or just use it on the ground near the chipper for relief cuts.

Hopefully my fleet can turn into...
MS660's:
1 new MS660 with porting, muffler mod, and carb adjustment running a 36" bar.
1 used MS660 stock for a parts machine
1 box full of common replacement and maintenance parts (air filters, spark plugs, fuel filters, etc.)

MS460's:
1 new MS460 with porting, muffler mod, and carb adjustment running a 20" bar.
1 (or 3 :msp_wink:) used MS460's for parts machines
1 box full of common replacement and maintenance parts (air filters, spark plugs, you get the idea)

Top handles:
1 new MS201 with whatever common modifications are done...for in-tree use.
My current MS192 with common mods for pruning jobs or on-ground use.
A few parts saws, and a box of replacement parts.

Cool, I think I'm getting the hang of the saw world. Thanks guys!
I may be a bit OCD, as I'm the same way with my work trucks...but I can say I never miss a day of work! :msp_thumbup:

Back