stihl 046 D cylinder?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idiotwithasaw

another row to hoe
Reaction score
hey guys i have a question. i stripped down my 046 today because i was going to do a vac/press test and one of the exhaust screws stripped out and wouldnt let it seal. this saw has the D type cylinder and a friend "gave" me a spare D cylinder, and i was going to put this one on tomorrow to finish my test and fix the screw hole on my original one. now that my long intro is over on to my question, i was looking at these cylinders side by side and i noticed some differences, mainly that my original was stamped MAHLE, and the other was just stamped STIHL. they are both clearly D cylinders however i was wondering if anyone knew what the differences were if any. and why would some be mahle and others not? i didnt have presence of mind to take pics sorry.

hey guys i have a question. i stripped down my 046 today because i was going to do a vac/press test and one of the exhaust screws stripped out and wouldnt let it seal. this saw has the D type cylinder and a friend "gave" me a spare D cylinder, and i was going to put this one on tomorrow to finish my test and fix the screw hole on my original one. now that my long intro is over on to my question, i was looking at these cylinders side by side and i noticed some differences, mainly that my original was stamped MAHLE, and the other was just stamped STIHL. they are both clearly D cylinders however i was wondering if anyone knew what the differences were if any. and why would some be mahle and others not? i didnt have presence of mind to take pics sorry.
Can't say for sure but I bet they are both made by Mahle.
So..... Do you want to sell the one your not goin to use? If so I call dibs lol

naw i dont wanna sell it, it was "given" to me and i dont sell gifts. im just curious about the differences, something else i noticed the mahle cylinder has a little protrusion which looks like it might be a support for the muffler that the other one doesnt have.

Is the a symbol that is a K and S overlapped on the stihl one?

If it is, is there a difference. I know k&s are also good manufacturers but are their D cylinders as desired as the mahle?

I know my pic is hard to see. But I've seen 2 different 046D cylinders. The difference is on the upper trans. One has just a square upper trans just like a 460 and the other I call a bubble or tear drop. It starts on exhaust side and gets quite a bit larger to the intake. And it's quite a bit bigger. The tear drop/bubble one will have a lot better factory timing numbers in it. This is just my experience take it at that. Lol.20150314_134450.jpg 20150314_134450.jpg

i assume the one on the left has the tear drop transfer. again to add another wrinkle ive never seen one like that. all the D cylinders ive seen have that little cavity in the base that serves no purpose like the one on the right. but agin one says mhale and the other says stihl?

Ok scratch everything I'm an idiot. Apparently what I have is a straight finned 044 cylinder. I checked it with my calipers this morning and it measures 50mm. I was very confused, the only numbers on it were 1128. And it looked exteriorly like an 046 D cylinder. Again I'm an idiot go ahead and make fun of me.

Yup, I have an 044 12 mm slant, it sits on the the bench though cuz an 046 D took its place.
I have a super early 044 12mm on the list for a complete rehab that needs a 12mm slant jug, if you would consider parting with it send me a PM, I am easy to deal with.
Dave

dave is a good guy. but in still confused on one part will a 10mm jug fit a 12mm saw or vice versa?
also how can you tell a 10mm vs 12mm slant jug?

Back