stihl 046 D cylinder?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i can post some pics tomorrow of two known 52mm 046/460 cylinders tomorrow and let you decide. the cylinder that i mistook as a 046D is actually a 50mm 044 cylinder, since it doesnt have a decomp hole that should have been my first clue but for some reason i missed it, was in a hurry and it was dark.

Attachments

• IMG_2726.JPG
    IMG_2726.JPG
    308.1 KB · Views: 66
dave is a good guy. but in still confused on one part will a 10mm jug fit a 12mm saw or vice versa?
also how can you tell a 10mm vs 12mm slant jug?
A slanted fin cylinder is a slanted fin cylinder.

You cannot use a later non-slanted fin jug with a piston from a slanted fin saw. The ring end location pins in the piston are different. However, you can use a slanted fin cylinder with either old or new piston.

A slanted fin cylinder is a slanted fin cylinder.

You cannot use a later non-slanted fin jug with a piston from a slanted fin saw. The ring end location pins in the piston are different. However, you can use a slanted fin cylinder with either old or new piston.

Ok one more silly question, if you have an original OEM slant fin jug and piston on a saw but the piston is a little iffy, would it be better to clean up the original piston or just use a new OEM piston? Any difference performance wise in the early and late pistons in the same early jug?
thanks
Dave

Depending on what you call iffy, I would probably go with a new piston.
gotcha, the exhaust side doesn't still clearly show the oil grooves but no vertical lines either, more of a scuffed up appearance.
Replacement is the plan. I didn't ask the question very well, I wanted to make sure there wasn't some super-piston qualities that the early version possessed that I would be missing by swapping it out.
thanks
DD

Back