Stihl 046 stripped bucking spike hole in case

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coyote556

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
The bottom bucking spike hole into the case of my 046 stripped out. I did not realize it until the screw was gone and the bucking spike plate was loose. When I got the new 5mm screw, and tried to replace it, I noticed the hole was stripped.

My question is, should I helicoil the hole back to 5mm or tap it out to 6mm and use one of the common 6mm Stihl T27 screws? I ask because I am not real sure what is behind that hole. The hole is plenty deep to tap out, but I am worried about it being too big at 6mm.

Thanks

stihl%20046.jpg

I just did the same repair on a 660 that the lower spike screw came loose and messed the treads up good. I drilled and tapped mine to 6mm. you will need to make the hole in the spike a little bigger to use the 6mm screw. It is really up to you how you would like to fix it. Re tap, heli coil or timeserts.

I've read on here other repairs done by epoxy'ing the hole(s), drilling and re-tapping back to original... just another option. If it were mine I would probably just retap to the larger bolt.

Duane

I'd go with 6mm.. and since I don't really ever see why you'd be taking them off, I'd go with red loctite.. but that's just me.

I've found it'll usually come out anyhow.. maybe a little heat is required.. better than having it fall out again and having to try to go to 7mm!

I've found it'll usually come out anyhow.. maybe a little heat is required.. better than having it fall out again and having to try to go to 7mm!
Heat will certainly remove epoxy, haven't tried heat on Locktite so don't know about it. If in doubt just rethread it to next biggest size, might or might not require drilling depending on whether it is wallowed out or not..

Latest posts

Back