Stihl 046 won't run after rebuild.....please help?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Success!! She cranked on the first pull but now she's idling up and down not steady.

Got it all back together and we're back to square one. Will not crank over at all.

Might try about 1/2 teaspoon of fuel mix down the spark plug hole and see if it will fire then.
I let it cool off completely and it fired up again. I did some light cutting and it needed some coaxing to keep idling. She floods real easy once warmed up.

Do not try to use it with it not running right. You'll be replacing the topend again.

Other than the decomp, air leaks will not affect compression, although they will affect the way it tunes and runs.

125 PSI is VERY low on a 046. A health 046 will make closer to 170 PSI.

Check your gauge on another known good saw. Does it have a Schrader valve at the very tip of the hose where it screws into the cylinder?

I had some problems 046 that I didn't get flywheel torqued down and had key got out of place. Now I'm fighting getting new fuel line to seat in.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I've yet to see a stuck upper ring with no aluminum transfer to the cylinder wall. I'd look very closely for imperfections that may come back to rear their ugly head. You have a significant decrease in compression that can be accounted for somewhere.

Do not try to use it with it not running right. You'll be replacing the topend again.

Other than the decomp, air leaks will not affect compression, although they will affect the way it tunes and runs.

125 PSI is VERY low on a 046. A health 046 will make closer to 170 PSI.

Check your gauge on another known good saw. Does it have a Schrader valve at the very tip of the hose where it screws into the cylinder?
It does have a schrader valve.

...if the carb is leaking internally (inlet needle below the metering diaphragm) it will flood the engine at idle but not at higher engine speeds.
Things that can go wrong when rebuilding a carb:
- metering lever height (new levers usually need to be adjusted), angle of lever ends
- wrong order gasket - diaphragm
- poorly seated spring
- leaking gaskets
- blockages within the carburetor
- leaking welch plugs

A lot of things can go wrong with carb repair

...if the carb is leaking internally (inlet needle below the metering diaphragm) it will flood the engine at idle but not at higher engine speeds.
Things that can go wrong when rebuilding a carb:
- metering lever height (new levers usually need to be adjusted), angle of lever ends
- wrong order gasket - diaphragm
- poorly seated spring
- leaking gaskets
- blockages within the carburetor
- leaking welch plugs

A lot of things can go wrong with carb repair
I put a new carb on and it immediately flooded out really bad. I'm stumped.

Describe this "new carb".
New? OEM? Chinese?
Brand new Chinese straight from the package. I keep seeing a little fuel from under the carb area and fuel coming out of the muffler like crazy even after just few pulls. I've used a few others with no issues. So far I've tried four different carbs on this thing and it keeps flooding out. When it did run it was idling erratically.

Latest posts

Back