Stihl 051 and 076 parts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKRover

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
How interchangeable are the parts? My 076 is missing a few things and I was looking at parts for 051's on ebay too because I was under the impression that almost everything is the same.

Will a full wrap handle from a 051 fit my 076?

Thanks

I believe it will. The only differences I think is the piston and cylinder. The 051 also doesn't have a manual assist oiler. The 076 has a side oiler cap while the 075 and 051 have it on top. Hope that helps. If you could get an Illustrated Parts List (IPL), that would help tons.

After searching a bunch of threads here I'm not even sure I have an 076 anymore, even though my Stihl delaer sold it to me as an 076 it may be an 075. In all the threads I read there didn't seem to be a definate way to tell an 075 and 076 appart for sure and if there was I lost it in the off topic tangents. Good reading though.

These old saws are confusing. Here is the only picture I have acces to at work, I'll get some more later if needed.

076.jpg

It has a manual oiler with the oil cap on the top and the de-comp valve is to the right of the plug so I'm pretty sure it's not a 051 at least.

I was wanting to bid on this pile of parts but I can't get the guy to work with me on shipping which would be $140 to Alaska. It looks like it has all the parts I'm missing and more. The parts saw even has the chain brake on it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...em=230216691225&_trksid=p3984.cTODAY.m238.lVI

After searching a bunch of threads here I'm not even sure I have an 076 anymore, even though my Stihl delaer sold it to me as an 076 it may be an 075. In all the threads I read there didn't seem to be a definate way to tell an 075 and 076 appart for sure and if there was I lost it in the off topic tangents. Good reading though.

These old saws are confusing. Here is the only picture I have acces to at work, I'll get some more later.

076.jpg

It has a manual oiler with the oil cap on the top and the de-comp valve is to the right of the plug so I'm pretty sure it's not a 051 at least.

I was wanting to bid on this pile of parts but I can't get the guy to work with me on shipping which would be $140 to Alaska. It looks like it has all the parts I'm missing and more. The parts saw even has the chain brake on it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...em=230216691225&_trksid=p3984.cTODAY.m238.lVI
I am no Stihl guy but I thought the 076 had electronic No points ignition? But then the early models may have had point's
I am just taking a stab in the dark here lol

Well I now have the IPL for the 051, 075 and 076 and the full wrap handle part numbers are all the same so at leat I know that will work.

Thanks Russ!

I'll quote from the Stihl repair manual - "With the exception of the rewind starter and the ignition system, the new 076 and 075 are identical." Apparantly these are outlined in bulletin 27.80. I also have IPLs for all three (4 with the 050) and it doesn't show any breakers for any of them... I guess the early 075s had breakers, later had modules. But don't see the difference between late 075 and 076 then?

And I had an 051 with the oil cap on the side... It was a late one though, with chainbrake.

I'll quote from the Stihl repair manual - "With the exception of the rewind starter and the ignition system, the new 076 and 075 are identical." Apparantly these are outlined in bulletin 27.80. I also have IPLs for all three (4 with the 050) and it doesn't show any breakers for any of them... I guess the early 075s had breakers, later had modules. But don't see the difference between late 075 and 076 then?

And I had an 051 with the oil cap on the side... It was a late one though, with chainbrake.
That might be the case as the 75 and 76 seem to be the same saw. Do 76's come with a manual oilier?

That might be the case as the 75 and 76 seem to be the same saw. Do 76's come with a manual oilier?

Well this manual doesn't state that, only on the 075. But it seems like it never mentions the 076 apart from sometimes as an afterthought. So as it says they're identical, I'd say the 076 does have the manual as well. Seem to rememeber someone saying theirs had it too. But I stand for correction

Well this manual doesn't state that, only on the 075. But it seems like it never mentions the 076 apart from sometimes as an afterthought. So as it says they're identical, I'd say the 076 does have the manual as well. Seem to rememeber someone saying theirs had it too. But I stand for correction
You might stand for correction but does it apply to all years of saw's? Remember we are talking Stihl here they are slow to change! I had to take my shot as it comes!

You might stand for correction but does it apply to all years of saw's? Remember we are talking Stihl here they are slow to change! I had to take my shot as it comes!

yeah they keep good things as they are (if it ain't broke don't fix it)! They may have changed the 076 after this manual came out I guess. Would like to see that bulletin though. Anyone know of a resource for Stihl tech bulletins?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...em=230216691225&_trksid=p3984.cTODAY.m238.lVI[/QUOTE]

I had tried communicating with this seller about a previous auction. He had 5 days or so and never replied, to a YES or NO question, none the less. I avoid sellers like this. No answer, no bid.

One sure fire way to tell if your saw is an 050, 051 series, or an 075,076 series, is the cylinder is held on by 4 screws on the 050, 051 series, and on the 075,076 series, the cylinder is held on by long studs. On this site most people say an 076 has oil cap on the side, and 075 has it on top. Both 075 and 076 have manual oilers, and i heard it was an option on 051's.

If what you have is an 075, which it likely is, you are going to be glad for that compression release!

I had tried communicating with this seller about a previous auction. He had 5 days or so and never replied, to a YES or NO question, none the less. I avoid sellers like this. No answer, no bid.

Out of three messages sent to him I have received one very short reply. Too bad he dosen't communicate better because I would probably buy what he has.

One sure fire way to tell if your saw is an 050, 051 series, or an 075,076 series, is the cylinder is held on by 4 screws on the 050, 051 series, and on the 075,076 series, the cylinder is held on by long studs. On this site most people say an 076 has oil cap on the side, and 075 has it on top. Both 075 and 076 have manual oilers, and i heard it was an option on 051's.

If what you have is an 075, which it likely is, you are going to be glad for that compression release!

I have yet to take it apart and check the way the cyclinder is attached. When I get some of the parts I want for it I will do that for sure.

I have tried starting it without using the decompression valve and I usually just end up flooding it. If I keep the garage warm I can get it to start on the second of thind pull using the de-comp valve. When I bought the saw the dealer said it had something like 125 or 130psi compression.

Last edited:

What would the difference in ignition systems be? Would that be a good way to tell them apart?

125-130lb? needs work...

Hmm, what should it be? 150ish?

Having not done much repair work on chian saws I'm not that familar with them. Would a new set of rings get it back to where it should be?

Thanks.

Hmm, what should it be? 150ish?

Having not done much repair work on chian saws I'm not that familar with them. Would a new set of rings get it back to where it should be?

Thanks.

cheapstihlparts has a set on now, I think about 30bucks

I would like to test it myself first before I condemn the thing. I have milled with it a few times and it seems to run pretty good.

I got few more pictures today, any more suggestions as to what saw this is?

saw01.jpg

saw02.jpg

saw03.jpg

saw04.jpg

saw05.jpg

Also if anyone has a pair of spikes, a handle bar with the bottom hardware, a rear shroud, and a rear handle with the trigger lock or just the trigger lock parts by themselves I am looking for these parts. Thanks.

Back