Stihl 051av quits running when hot.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could this thing be vapor locking?
My 1947 Ford V-8 did once in a while but I never heard of a chainsaw doing that. I wonder if anyone on the site ever had that experience with a chainsaw? I will squirt some gas/oil mix into the carb. throat the next time it does this. That might tell me something. Thanks, again. Bob

Rob, Were gonna fix this thing.How clean are the cylinders fins? From under the flywheel over the cylinder and out the other side.Dirt on the cylinder fins helps retain heat around the cylinder. This could be a contributing factor to your anomalies.Overheating is caused by several factors, the one I just mentioned for one and a lean mixture could also be a culprit.Does the engine 4 stroke at full throttle without a load? I have given you a mouthful and will allow you to chew and digest all of this.As of now I suspect a seal around the crankshaft may be at fault. Ken

Rob, Were gonna fix this thing.How clean are the cylinders fins? From under the flywheel over the cylinder and out the other side.Dirt on the cylinder fins helps retain heat around the cylinder. This could be a contributing factor to your anomalies.Overheating is caused by several factors, the one I just mentioned for one and a lean mixture could also be a culprit.Does the engine 4 stroke at full throttle without a load? I have given you a mouthful and will allow you to chew and digest all of this.As of now I suspect a seal around the crankshaft may be at fault. Ken
I am very conscientious about keeping my saws clean by blowing them out frequently with a high pressure air nozzle. Yes, it does 4 cycle at full throttle without a load so I feel the high speed jet is adjusted properly. I am going to try a new IM (coil) and see what happens. Thanks for your input. I will let everyone know when I solve the problem. Bob R.

Latest posts

Back