Stihl 056 av mag ll

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G sawyer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if anyone has used a Stihl 056 Magnum ll on a csm, if so was it up to the job? I am wanting to run a 36 inch bar on it with the majority of the logs being in the twenty inch range, mostly pin oak but I have some sycamore and black cherry I am going to get to in the future. I am looking at buying the saw and would appreciate feedback. I am using a stihl 310 that i put a 390 top end on right now and running a 28 inch bar I can tell it isn't long for this world, I have been using it for about two months , it's holding up but I would imagine I should let it get back to it's twenty inch bar cutting firewood.

056 mag ll

If your 056 is a true mag ll it should do great. The 056 was made in 3 different bore sizes I believe. 52 mm, 54 mm, and 56 mm for the mag ll. The 56 mm bore puts it about 94/95 cc's. The 056 turns less rpm than the 066/660 but should be good for milling. It is on the heavy side but for milling that doesn't matter as much. I would start looking for some part saws since that saw is getting older. You can get 045 part saws too as I am pretty sure most parts will work.
Hope all my random ramblings help.
jnl

Have heard the ignitions are pretty hard to find.

Don't think there is such a thing as too much power when it comes to milling.

Back