Stihl 056 magnum ignition issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juicecom

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
It doesnt spark on the plug but it does shock me if i hold it so Its probably the ignition which fails on these saws but im not sure if my saw is sem or bosch ignition

If truly an 056 Magnum & it’s original, then it used a SEM GA, you can either get a new one at Stihl; or a used or aftermarket module from fleabay. 1108 400 0800

Post a pic of the flywheel after removing the starter/cover, just to be certain.

If truly an 056 Magnum & it’s original, then it used a SEM GA, you can either get a new one at Stihl; or a used or aftermarket module from fleabay. 1108 400 0800

Post a pic of the flywheel after removing the starter/cover, just to be certain.
its a two piece one with the first flywheel and fan and then a domed enclosure that the ignition stuff is in but i dont know how to get the domed cover off

its actually a bosch ignition im assuming someone converted it

Hello! I have a few 056's around in various states of assembly and parts. There are two sets of cylinders and pistons, a 56mm piston, one a 54mm. Were the cranks on the Magnums not lobed, ever? And they ran the SEM ignition always? Just trying to match up the correct tops and bottoms. Thanks!
R.

Hello! I have a few 056's around in various states of assembly and parts. There are two sets of cylinders and pistons, a 56mm piston, one a 54mm. Were the cranks on the Magnums not lobed, ever? And they ran the SEM ignition always? Just trying to match up the correct tops and bottoms. Thanks!
R.
You only need to match the correct ignition system to the correct flywheel for it to work

You only need to match the correct ignition system to the correct flywheel for it to work
Which cylinders and pistons go with which ignitions? I have crank cases, ignitions, but no cylinders or pistons attached. There is a SEM ignition, and a Bosch with a lobed crank shaft. I've read that the Mag 2's never had a lobed shaft? Just trying to put the correct stuff on the correct saw, if possible. No guarantee even that the tops belong to these bottoms, although that's what was said...
Thanks!
R.

There’s really not a correct match even for a restoration, you might date the saw production by serial number & then the nameplate badge. Stihl made so many running engineering changes in those two series that it makes your head swim. Some even used the old 031 oil pumps, so there are four different standard cases due to the PTO side bearing changes, not counting the magnum.

I’ve never seen an OEM magnum w/ a lobed crank. The troublesome Bosch CDI spanned the standard 52mm bored 045 & 056s, and the 54mm Supers too. SEM GE was next in sequence, then the latest SEM GA. Never saw anything but Bosch points on the early 50mm 045 series.

As far as “matching tops & bottoms” the early 50mm was 045 series only & the latest 56mm will only fit on a magnum case, w/o modifying it of course.

Good luck sorting through all those carcasses!

Mag 2 was a later version so no points or lobed crank, lobed crank should be the oldest version of the smallest bore 056, my super has the contactless potted bosh but it was a mixed bag on model/ electronic ignition for all the models with contactless ignition, the lobed crank should be a stihl coil, points, condenser and bosh flywheel. The hard part for you will be matching the flywheel to the ignition system so it actually works...the ipls can be pretty vague.

Thanks for the help guys! I actually called Stihl with the serial numbers and a feller named Pat really helped out! So now some parts are on order, and some assembly can start to happen!
The combinations and different configurations are definitely numerous! The IPL's are really vague. I'll be looking for bearings and seals at some point, but for now will settle for fuel and spark!

R.

I'm new to all this. I have an 056av electronic which I think is developing the ignition issue. I have what I'm pretty sure is the Bosch ignition going by the pictures on the thread but it doesn't say Bosch on it anywhere and on the flywheel (separate fanwheel) it says Ducati.

I've heard of the Saegenspezi unit, are they just plug and play or are other modifications required and has anybody used one i long term? Also, did Stihl ever make the 056 with points as mine has a points cam on the crank?

Post a picture with the flywheel off, you may be jumping the gun.

Yes & yes. Longevity is up to the Taiwan transistor mounted in the heat under the flywheel, as that Stihl ignition design is compromised.

The points lobe is not a surprise on an early 056, plus no telling what that old saw has been through repair wise. I’m sure that they used up old stock cranks in production.

I just got another Saegenspezi as I have the Foggysail fix on my 045 Super and a Saegenspezi on my 056 Super and thought the Foggysail fix on my rebuild of the 045 was no good. I'd set it aside for a bit and come back to it, it was dying after five minutes or less of running, getting worse and worse, and doing the wait til it cools thing like a bad OEM ignition. Come to find after putting the new ignition in still no life, great spark, had gas, and put the compression tester on it to find 60psi. I'm like, barely used the new cylinder and piston yet, how could it have gone wrong? Seems I put in a bad gasket and it just blew apart, will just use RTV this time around. Foggysail fixed ignition was probably fine, I just had a bad gasket from the get go. Saegenspezi ignition even cheaper to order from their website than on Fleabay. That ignition of theirs has come down like $40 in price with shipping all told since I first bought one, was only like $75-80 all told this time. Only thing I don't like about it which has caused the tiny coil to chip wire to break repeatedly on the 056 Super is the wiring doesn't seem to want to sit down flat so it doesn't chafe against the ignition cover. They really do a poor job with keeping the wiring tucked in. Supposedly the Saegenspezi is still a long term issue because it just gets too hot in there and the Foggysail fix is apparently a better way of making sure the ignition doesn't overheat. So rather than re-solder the 056 Saegenspezi wiring one more time I might just try the Foggysailed ignition on it and maybe by some miracle I'll finally get these frustrating rebuilds sorted once and for all so both saws work right.

Latest posts

Back