Stihl 064 and. An 088

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Affordabletree

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a guy that offered me these two saws for $1250 the 64 has a 20" bar and the 88 had nothing. I thought it was a pretty good deal and would round out my size range as I already have an 034 and. A 200t but I wanted to hear if anyone has run either saw and what they think of them. I was going to put a 36" bar on the 088 and leave to 20 on the 064

I have a guy that offered me these two saws for $1250 the 64 has a 20" bar and the 88 had nothing. I thought it was a pretty good deal and would round out my size range as I already have an 034 and. A 200t but I wanted to hear if anyone has run either saw and what they think of them. I was going to put a 36" bar on the 088 and leave to 20 on the 064

I have a 660 I run a 24 most of the time on and I love it... occasionally run a 36 on it when I have too, never owned an 088 most everything I have ever needed to cut 660 could get the job done fine... Honestly to me unless your loaded with cash or plan on using the 088 for a Alaska mill I would would rather spend 600 or so on a good used 660 then an old 064 that you may have a hard time getting parts for.

I have an 88, and a 66. I've used a 64 YEARS ago, and it's not a bad saw, but I don't think they have made it in over 10 years now, so as the pig already stated, parts might start getting hard to come by. Also, putting a 20" bar on a 64, or 66 is overkill. I've got 362's with 20" bars and they rip, I've put a 25" bar on my 66 before and that REALLY rips... so to put a 20" is just foolish, and burning far more fuel than you need, not to mention the weight. Now the 88, that saw unless you are into bigger wood often, or have other plans for it is just a big hunk of metal and plastic to have laying around. I've got a 59" bar and a 41" bar for mine, and hate using it. The saw is big, heavy, and cuts slower than the 66. If you are up for spending $1250, I'd say just go buy a brand new 660 with a full factory warranty, and be done with it.

I have used a 64, good uper midsize saw. I own and use an 084, same size as 880 but older, running a 40" bar. Great for big wood and stumps. Sharp chain is everything on the big saws.

I also bought a 064 with a 20" bar 1.5 year ago, with an 8 tooth rim tough. That was the standard set-up here in Europe I believe. It's a pretty nice combo and rips through wood. The original bar is still good so I will keep running it like this and upgrade when the bar is worn or I really need the bigger bar (The machining marks are also still visible on the cylinder). They are nice saws and lighter than the 066. Parts are mostly interchangeable but there are some differences (you can find that info in the link below).

There was another thread about the 064 just a few days ago:
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/237819.htm

Good luck with the deal!

Back