stihl 064 av

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonden

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Is there difference betwen an Stihl 064av and 064 saw ?.
For how long time has the 064 saw been made . thanks from Sven-Erik . Norvay.

There's no real significant difference between an 064, 064 AV, or 064AVE. There was a short run of 064 saws that had the CDIC rev-limiting ignition module, but fortunately those are rare. If memory serves correctly the 064 was introduced in 1985 and discontinued in North America in 1993 (Lakeside53 can confirm or correct this), although it is still sold elsewhere currently as the MS-640.

I have a Stihl brochure from 1997 that still lists the 064.

That must be it then, my memory is fading by the day. I know there was a run of a few years where the 064 had the clear tank and the same muffler as the 066.

The first pair of 064s my dad bought in 1985 had the non-clear tank, old style mufflers, and funky hardwood style dawgs.

It is writen on the top of the saw Electronic, quickstopp, what is that .i hawe an Stihl 036 qs witch has quickstopp but do this 064 hawe it to .

That must be it then, my memory is fading by the day. I know there was a run of a few years where the 064 had the clear tank and the same muffler as the 066.

The first pair of 064s my dad bought in 1985 had the non-clear tank, old style mufflers, and funky hardwood style dawgs.

Is this the type of dawgs you are talking about?

I think it is about an 1988.

It had a factory pipe on the muffler, had to change muffler
when I replaced PC.

attachment.php

Hmmm... I'm pretty sure they went the way of the dodo in 1993.

1997? Is this a USA brochure?

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever seen a post 1993 064 around here. It was certainly sold in other parts of the the world until the late 90's.

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever seen a post 1993 064 around here. It was certainly sold in other parts of the the world until the late 90's.

For some reason '93 sticks in my head too. I recall it was post-red light CDIC 066 and 064 and the 064 was gone shortly after. That was about the time the 1122 400 1311 coil reared its ugly head on the 064s and there was many warranty issues with them.

I bought my 064 AVEQ in the fall of 1986, advertised at 14.1 lbs, then in 1993 I bought one of the first available 066 redlight Mag. Artic[heated carb,dual outlet exhaust.] Stihl sent me a new coil to replace the digital one that was giving them problems at the time about 6 mths later. After that no more red light.

Last edited:
Thank you Lakeside for your build on the 064 Postmortem, This baby is still building power, and the coil/flywheel setup you put on it suits me perfect. I dont think I could be happier with it. Its a wonderful piece of machinery!

YESI LOVE MY 064!

Thank you Lakeside for your build on the 064 Postmortem, This baby is still building power, and the coil/flywheel setup you put on it suits me perfect. I dont think I could be happier with it. Its a wonderful piece of machinery!

YESI LOVE MY 064!

yep... Look after it... not many out there with a complete teardown, new P&C etc etc..

The city of Chapman Kansas was devastated in June by an F4 tornado (75% of the city gone)...I spent 2 weekends in that city where I have many fond teenage memories with my old girlfriend (now my wife), helping cleanup the beautiful old Oak, Walnut, and Maples that were destroyed by the tornado. I used the 361 and the 064 exclusively. The city manager, and the FEMA and Red Cross directors both observed and gave me a personal thank you for the effort. They were going to hire a tree service to do 100% of the cleanup of trees. Because of what I and many others did they didnt have to hire anyone. I do have to say that all of the tree work that was "in the tree" was done by pro arborists that donated their time, saws, gas, etc. VERY good people! Extreme Makeover is in Chapman this week building a new house for a military family, I cant wait to see the end result. Sorry to hijack the thread, but the 064 did me and the townspeople damn proud!

Last edited:
As in the 064/066 thread.

I had forgot I had this, from almost 2 years ago, when I
ask Stihl about my 064.

"Mr. XXXXX,
I can't find an exact manufacturing date for this unit.
However,
working through technical bulletins which display serial number breaks for
various changes, I've narrowed the date down to the final three months of
1988. This series of unit was produced between 1986-1997.

Best regards,
XXXXXXXXX
Technical Advisor
Stihl Inc.
"

Latest posts

Back