Stihl 064 Coils

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
064 coil mounting bosses
219683d1327533786-064av-1-jpg

This isn't my post, but my question is can 064 timing be altered by mixing and/or matching flywheel and coil options. I want to advance my timing (I think). Move my flywheel clockwise OR move my coil counter-clockwise. Just an idea...

Last edited:
This isn't my post, but my question is can 064 timing be altered by mixing and/or matching flywheel and coil options. I want to advance my timing (I think). Move my flywheel clockwise OR move my coil counter-clockwise. Just an idea...

All the combinations I have seen that ended up with a "non-stock" timing, yanked the rope out of your hand and bit hard....:hmm3grin2orange:

If you want to experiment with altering the timing slightly, Get some extra keys and file the tops of them to make slight timing variations.....The key is just there to locate the flywheel until you torque the nut and lock the flywheel to the taper on the crank.

K guys...

Here is the "dog leg" 064 coil. This fits the early 064's like mine...

6eb7dd5c.jpg

Here is the dog leg coil compared to the 1300 coil.

a9e1e215.jpg

And here is the 1128 XXX 1309 coil mounted on my 064 using the 1201 FW. I cant tell any running difference between it and the original, but I aint put a watch, nor a timing light on it. The rear hole, obviously doesnt line up, but the bottom and top did perfectly.

262952a6.jpg

And here is a good "what if" question....

db9a024d.jpg

What if one pressed the 1300 coil off the laminates, and flipped it? It appears to line up perfectly on the bottom lugs. Would the timing still be the same?

What if one pressed the 1300 coil off the laminates, and flipped it? It appears to line up perfectly on the bottom lugs. Would the timing still be the same?

Intriguing idea! Makes me wish my 064 had that bottom mounting boss :(

for the coil experts out there.

I have a stihl 064 project saw i picked up a while ago that i am just now getting to.

The saw was purchased mid 1994. The serial number is 128646735. Which coil do i need?

Can i use one of these ducati ones on ebay?

ducati ignition coil - stihl 064 ms640 ms 640 chainsaw | ebay

the coil on the saw is not the original coil and doesn't work and so i don't think it's really the right coil nor do i want to buy based on the part numbers that are on it.

Thanks (as always)

mike
mike got one on order from stihl,there were 3 updates. The part # all superceded or work for all 064's.i dont remember the # but is about 130.00.may want to ask for those numbers from dealer, or i can when i go back.hope this helps

I'm looking for the same exact coil for my old school 064. None of the part numbers match up on any of the stihl tech pages, so have you found an actual part number for this coil? Thanks,

I'm looking for the same exact coil for my old school 064. None of the part numbers match up on any of the stihl tech pages, so have you found an actual part number for this coil? Thanks,

Which coil? Every coil has a part number and every one of those has been listed in the numerous threads regarding 064 coils.

Hello Jacob J,

You guys tried to help me out a while back, and I wasn't able to provide pics that showed what my original coil was. I'm not trying to mess up this thread, but was excited to see a pic of a coil like mine, that has the middle hole offset farther down from the center of the coil, and also has the external small black trigger box. My coil has the part number Bosch
2 204 222 999 and my flywheel is part # 1122 400 1201a
Any help is very appreciated. Thanks

Hello Jacob J,

You guys tried to help me out a while back, and I wasn't able to provide pics that showed what my original coil was. I'm not trying to mess up this thread, but was excited to see a pic of a coil like mine, that has the middle hole offset farther down from the center of the coil, and also has the external small black trigger box. My coil has the part number Bosch

U can subsitute that coil with the 3 legged 046 coil like I did, and just use the top and bottom holes. Works great....

Hello Jacob J,

Your coil is #1122 400 1300, the early one with the external trigger. You can do Wigglesworth's trick of substituting an 046 coil.

Which coil? Every coil has a part number and every one of those has been listed in the numerous threads regarding 064 coils.

Perhaps I've not looked in the right place, but my 066 and 064 coils have no numbers which I have found.

Back