Stihl 064 dies out

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamorrow81

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys. Trying to get a lil info on my saw. It’s an 064. I was using it the other day and was running awesome. Then all of a sudden it started dying out like it was running out of fuel. It idles great. And starts right back up. But once ya start cutting wide open it keeps acting like it’s not getting enough fuel. Any help would be very much appreciated. I love the saw and this is the first prob I’ve ever had with it. And I need it this weekend to cut some big rounds of hard maple with my 25” bar. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will be checking all that hopefully tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for the info. Love this site and all the info you guys give. Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is when I do the whole fuel system overhaul....unless certain parts have been replaced already, on a saw that old, I use a scorched earth policy from the fuel tank to the carburetor.

New OEM- fuel filter, fuel hose, carb kit, impulse hose.
Empty and clean the fuel tank before installing the new filter and fuel hose.
Might as well throw on a new spark plug and check your coil gap while your at it.
Make sure the muffler and spark arrestor do not have any buildup.

Mainly this is all because it is an older saw and unless I knew its maintenance history going way back, there is nothing to lose by replacing these parts and making these checks.

Usually though, when a saw (or blower, or trimmer, etc.) starts acting like that I go straight for a carb cleanout and/or kit.

I’m with earlthegoat. That’s a nice saw and expensive to replace. It’s time to replace the rubber parts.

Just like hitting 100k miles on the car. Time to replace belt(s) and hoses, etc. Cheap insurance.

On my 064, I used Aftermarket for the AV mounts, and OEM for crank seals, impulse, intake boot, Carb kit, fuel line & filter. You’re probably talking $50-75 total.

Back