Stihl 064 Flywheel and coil issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3than

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey everybody, So i know this topic has been covered many times on this site but i’m yet to find a concrete answer for my issue in specific. I bought a 064 with a coil but no flywheel. I have a CDIC-A coil model number 1122 400 1307 I believe. I just can’t figure out which flywheel i should be looking for to match up with this coil? Im also thinking maybe to swap out the coil and match it up with a more desirable setup? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here’s a few photos of what i’ve got going on.

Attachments

• D276C243-4951-41B2-A05A-AE8B2D788616.jpeg
    D276C243-4951-41B2-A05A-AE8B2D788616.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
  • A9C7620C-F84D-4BFC-8E18-6A18131E9578.jpeg
    A9C7620C-F84D-4BFC-8E18-6A18131E9578.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 2
Hey everybody, So i know this topic has been covered many times on this site but i’m yet to find a concrete answer for my issue in specific. I bought a 064 with a coil but no flywheel. I have a CDIC-A coil model number 1122 400 1307 I believe. I just can’t figure out which flywheel i should be looking for to match up with this coil? Im also thinking maybe to swap out the coil and match it up with a more desirable setup? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here’s a few photos of what i’ve got going on.

Attachments

• 064 066 ignitions carbs .pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 4
  • 064 and 066 ignitions.pdf
    303.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Stihl 064 066 coils flywheels.pdf
    43.7 KB · Views: 1
I think he needs/wants the two key way metal flywheel that will allow use of the "universal" unlimited coil.
Are you referring to
That would be the perfect solution, double key flywheel and 0000 coil- problem solved.
Do u know which part number double key fly wheel will work with the 0000 coil? Also i’m assuming with the double key the timing will be correct?

Are you referring to

Do u know which part number double key fly wheel will work with the 0000 coil? Also i’m assuming with the double key the timing will be correct?

See the link I posted above, that is about THE best reference I have found for 1122 ignitions.
The glory of the dual key flywheel is one broaching works for limited coils, the other for unlimited coils.

So i ended up getting the 1215 flywheel to match up with my 064 red eye as well as the wider recoil. Everything fits up as it should and has good spark aside from the fact that the flywheel would not fit with the key. Is there a special key or any way to get around this?

So i ended up getting the 1215 flywheel to match up with my 064 red eye as well as the wider recoil. Everything fits up as it should and has good spark aside from the fact that the flywheel would not fit with the key. Is there a special key or any way to get around this?

Photos speak volumes.
The key is too fat to fit the broaching? Could be bent or burred, take it out of the crank and inspect for flatness. New keys are cheap from your local dealer.
Or it could be the key is sitting raised to the front and hitting the broaching in the flywheel as you try to fit it- even it up on the crank.
Or, mark the keyway of the crank and line the flywheel as you put it on with that mark and fit the flywheel without the key, they are only there to line up the timing, not hold the flywheel on- torque on the nut, forcing the flywheel onto the crank taper hold it there.

Photos speak volumes.
The key is too fat to fit the broaching? Could be bent or burred, take it out of the crank and inspect for flatness. New keys are cheap from your local dealer.
Or it could be the key is sitting raised to the front and hitting the broaching in the flywheel as you try to fit it- even it up on the crank.
Or, mark the keyway of the crank and line the flywheel as you put it on with that mark and fit the flywheel without the key, they are only there to line up the timing, not hold the flywheel on- torque on the nut, forcing the flywheel onto the crank taper hold it there.
Alright makes sense. I’ll take a few photos of it and see what you guys think. If not i’ll just run it keyless i think.

Keyless is no problem if the tapers are tight fitting, both surfaces need to be squeaky clean, apply torque to the retaining nut and the flywheel will stay where it is. I have used the valve grinding compound many times to mate up flywheels, the compound will cut the aluminum flywheel easily.

Jerry how do you use the compound to mate up the flywheel?
Kash

Just like lapping a valve I would imagine.
No key, smear of compound around the inside of the hole in the flywheel, place on keyless crank and rotate back and forth, remove clean with a paper towel and inspect for any unpolished parts- repeat until uniform finish, clean and reassemble?

Just like lapping a valve I would imagine.
No key, smear of compound around the inside of the hole in the flywheel, place on keyless crank and rotate back and forth, remove clean with a paper towel and inspect for any unpolished parts- repeat until uniform finish, clean and reassemble?
Exactly, it will clean /polish the aluminum in the flywheel bore where the compound has removed the high spots, keep at it until the whole bore is polished to bright metal , then clean both the crank and flywheel bore to squeaky clean and dry. The tight fit will hold the flywheel right where its at when torqued down with the retaining nut.

I think you need a 1209 flywheel for that CDIC 1307 coil. I have the 1209 single key flywheel and need the CDIC to make it work or you could get a 1201 single key flywheel and use a 1300 coil.

Back