Stihl 065??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimberMcPherson

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Having a discussion with a guy, talking about the good old 66. He was saying that there was a 065 that preceeded the 066 and looks identical. Yet I have never seen or heard of one before and I had a look on the search in arbsite and a look around google.
Sooooo 065.....anyone seen em?

This might be obvious to you, but anyway........

I think that the saw he is referring to must be the 064. It was introduced at more or less the same time as the 044, about 12-15 years before the 066. It is still sold in many countries, both as the 064 and the MS 640.

I am very curious of the announced new 650, as at 85 cc it cant be much different from 064/640. Maybe it is an EPA Spesial for the US market only?

Last edited:
The MS-650 is basically an updated 064 as far as its place in the line-up goes. There was a gap in displacement between the MS-460 (76cc) and the MS-660 (91cc) . Also, the '650 will be less money than the '660, I don't know how much yet.

Same saw as a 066, smaller piston& cylinder, tad less weight.

Maybe you Stihl dealers aren't allowed to tell me this... but I was always curious... does Stihl give you an absolute bottom line price you can not go under to sell their saws? What if you are selling your store, or going out of business... or selling to a son-in-law and want to give him a REAL GOOD DEAL... do you still have to adhere to thier pricing structure?

Did not get any price increase yet.
Sure you can undersell, but what does that prove? That you will make less money to move a saw. We have never done that, and our business picks up every year. Honest sales and good service will still win.
Now I did it. :rolleyes:

Ok, SO I go buy some land eract a building , hire help, train them, stock the building with merchandise, advertise, pay taxes, insurance, utility bills etc. and Joe Consumer comes into my store and tells me he's not paying the price on the tag? Why does the money always have to come out of my pocket? I heard the boss talking to one of our regular tree guy customers. Customer says it wouldn't kill the boos to sell him a saw or two at cost. Boss says "how about I pay your cost to have a few trees removed from the property, crews wages and some gas and oil fro the saws" Tree guy comes back with "I gotta make some money to pay other bills and I gotta eat". Boss "EXACTLY"

sedanman said:
And I'm gonna get lambasted for it!

I'll back you up sedan, stihltech too. I've worked small business retail before, and I know how hard it is sometimes to make ends meet, and that's why you open your doors, is to make money. And I know that for myself, I don't mind paying a good dealer what's on the tag (at fair price), knowing he'll (she'll) take care of me down the road if/when I have problems or need some help somewhere.

Sorry to get off track, back to talking about the 650...specs anyone?

Take care all,
Jeff

No Stihl does not give us prices that we have to sell at.....I could sell you a saw for 2 dollars if I wanted.....but like the other guys here have said.....why would I. Stihltech.......check esales....youll see the price changes. Have you gotten your spring POP kit with the new hang tags yet?

The MS-650 is Stihl's effort to start meeting the 'Tier-2' EPA regs for the big saws. Yes, it fits the gap between the MS460 and the MS-660. The 064 was introduced in 1985. The 044 was introduced in 1984. We've received Stihl's new pricing index that took effect January 17th of this year, and the price increases are as follows:

MS- 191T, 290, 310, 390, 361, and 440 +$20.00

MS- 200T, 280, 460, 660, and 088 +$30.00

And according to the technical release on the 650, it will use the same cylinder and piston as the 064/640 although will be "Optimized", meaning a different Nicasil coating matrix and the piston will be made from the newer alloys like the optimized 460 and 660 cylinder and pistons, and the case will be the same as the 660, so you could make it into a 660 at some later time if needed.

Hey guys... cut me some slack. I wasn't saying you SHOULD sell at cost or "give away the store". I just got the impression from talking to the Stihl dealer I bought my 361 from that he didn't have much choice on prices, that Stihl dictates lots of that, and I was just curious how exactly that works or how strict they were, thats all. I know enough about how businesses work to know that Joe Consumer usually has no clue what merchants go through to get that stuff on the shelf for them and try and make an honest dollar doing it. The example of the cutter telling the dealer it wouldnt hurt to sell him some saws at cost says it all. People will come up to me, usually its a friend of a friend or some such, and say "hey I hear you have a woodshop, can you make me an xyz?" I tell them about how many hours it will take, how much wood at xyz a bd ft, and thus roughly how much it will cost. When they often balk at the price I usually say "well so how much is YOUR time worth... 5 bucks an hour? ...20 bucks and hour?" People expect you to work for nothing. For close friends and family I do of course, but c'mon people, my time is just a precious as yours. So dealers, I'm on your side, and just as I expect to get paid for my services when I work, I have no problem paying a GOOD dealer his due for his services. Guess I gotta be a little more careful how I word a question like that. Sorry if I ruffled any feathers or fostered any negative implications. :angel:

Dave

Back